Topic

Sub 3oz gravity filter setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sub 3oz gravity filter setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Jack, I don't know anything about those filters (pore size, flow rate, etc.)

To be honest, I don't actually have a strong motive to be in charge of a group order of a case of these filters for two reasons: I already have one and I'm ridiculously busy with my dissertation right now.

But I was the one who suggested it, so, I'll do some source comparisons and try to find the best price if someone else is willing to be in charge of the rest of it (assessing interest on BPL, taking names, ordering, distributing, etc.). I just don't have time right now to be in charge of another project.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

I ordered one of the two left on the link and it came today.
    Standard NPT pipe thread and barbed hose nipple connectors.
    'twill be easy to connect to any setup.

Filter

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

I got one off of EBay in time for the $25 price to see how it compares to the sawyer squeeze.

It is much smaller…!!!

Not so good news – (Mine) does not have the flow rate of the sawyer so trying to use it in line (for me)is not a good application. (I want to hear what others find out about it)

It would have been perfect for my canteen idea.

This will still be a good & very light gravity filter for solo use and I will run it into bottles or a bladder but it takes about twice the time of the sawyer squeeze.

I will do some time trials to compare.

For a gravity filter I will just take the blue tube off inside the bottle and hang it.
    The wide mouth makes filling easier and the cap has room for a pre-filter pad.

filter01

filter02

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Craig mentioned to me that it was initially easy to blow air through his Bd3750 filter, but after it was wet it was difficult. I noticed this with mine, too. It is easier to blow air through a wet Sawyer filter to clear the water out than it is with these. I can get all of the water (except a few droplets) out by shaking it, but blowing it out doesn't work. I'm not sure why that is. Mine backflushes easily, and the water flow rate through the filter after a dozen or so uses (at home) hasn't changed, but blowing air through it is very difficult. It wouldn't be possible to completely dry out any filter on the trail, but, just out of curiosity, I'll try to thoroughly dry out my filter in a vacuum desiccator and see if it becomes easy to blow through it again.

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't able to post on the forum for awhile (hopefully I can now). Colin, if what you say is true and from your testing an absolute 0.1 (for example Sawyer) filter won't completely remove Lepto, then articles should really list the smallest size as 0.09, instead of 0.1. I haven't seen anything yet that specifically lists it at 0.09, but maybe it should be.

(of course there is even less practical difference between 0.09 and 0.1, than 0.1 and 0.2, but it's still good to know)

Ryan

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools