Topic

Multi Use Mug Idea?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Multi Use Mug Idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick VanBurkleo
    BPL Member

@envybee

Locale: Midwest

This occurred to me about 20 minutes ago so I thought I'd post it. I had a small container of gatorade of which I promptly bagged the drink mix, measured the volume and thought I could use the container as a leakproof drink mix container for coffee, gatorade, or whatever but also use it as a coffee mug, bowl, small (tiny) plate, etc. I normally pack a .7oz plastic cup (1 cup volume) for my coffee and it doesn't have an additional use. With the lid this beast weighs in at 1.8oz (3 cups volume).

So this is really a three part question. First, will I die if I drink coffee out of this bad boy either by boiling water melting through while I use it, or me drinking toxic plastic? Second, in your opinion is it worth the weight? Third, does anyone else have any multi use mug ideas or input that would trump this completely?

GatoradeMug

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nick,

1) you won't die!

2) IMO, it's not worth the weight, unless you're gonna use it for at least MOST of the uses you mention

3) I use my cookpot as my mug. I have another option that I've never used, however: a HDPE pill bottle with the top cut off w/scissors; it fits in a thin neoprene can cozy for barely 1oz – a great insulated mug for coffee/cocoa

All my opinions aside, great thinking! That's the way to discover ways to better your outdoor experience. And it is YOUR experience!

Todd

PS: the only big drawback for me (assuming you pack your pot in the mug) is cleaning the grooves – that's why I don't use mine – I was "one and done" w/ cheese grits in the grooves!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I use the short-wide Campbells soup-cup. i cut the metal rim off and it doubles as a holder for my gas canister. it is insulated and holds 1.5c (2 packs of oatmeal). don't drink coffee so i don't need as much volume for my 1c of hot chocolate

many people use the gatorade tubs though so i'm guessing you would be fine?

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

IMO I would ditch it. Plastics are hard to keep clean and not become contaminated with foods stuffs put in them. Plus, that garorade container will also not hold up well for repeated fills with boiling or hot water.

I have a small 8 ounce capacity titanium mug that I got with another cook set that I use for a coffee mug, measuring etc. It's an extra item, but it weighs so little that for me it's worth it such that I can be drinking coffee or tea while my dinner cooks in my .9L evernew Ti pot. I don't have to wait for coffee until I clean my cook pot, plus I can put it right on the stove to heat water, which I couldn't do with the little plastic cup I used to have. Also nice for sipping amaretto or other appertifs or heating a little rum.

Nick VanBurkleo
    BPL Member

@envybee

Locale: Midwest

Really good feedback, folks. Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Try the GSI nesting mug and bowl. It works great for morning oatmeal and coffee. The price is pretty reasonable as opposed to titanium. Only weighs 3.3 ounces. http://www.backcountryedge.com/gsi_outdoors-gourmet-nesting-mug-bowl.aspx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools