Topic

BIAS Weight Weenie Micro Hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping BIAS Weight Weenie Micro Hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I spent this past weekend hiking 23 miles of the Mid State Trail (from I-80 southbound to Woodward Gap Road for those of you who know the trail). The weather was spectacular and it gave me a chance to try out my new Butt In A Sling (BIAS) Weight Weenie Micro hammock.

Including the suspension (whoopie slings) and tree straps (one 70" and one 100") the total weight of the hammock is 12.8 ounces. That puts it two ounces over my identically suspended GT Nano 7 but the comfort level makes the extra two ounces well worth it.

I ordered my WWM hammock in the 60" width – primarily so I could fairly compare it to my Speer hammock (which is 9' x 5'). The WWM hammock, however, is 11 feet long. I was astounded at the comfort that additional two feet of material added. I'm right at 6 feet tall, and even in a 9' hammock I find myself "fighting" the gathering above my head. Not at all a problem with any of the BIAS hammocks, which are all 11 feet long.

Brian at BIAS was very responsive to my emailed questions about the hammocks and even tried to talk me into ordering a 52 or 56 inch wide hammock, explaining that the length makes a huge difference, but I didn't want to believe him. I do now. My next hammock from them will be 52" wide. I placed my order with them with less than two weeks before my trip, but that didn't give them any problems delivering the hammock and it arrived three days before I left.

I also ordered my hammock with their "Knotty Mod" – which gave me a little extra material (diagonally opposed) with a bungee for my head and feet. I need a few more nights with the hammock to decide whether I need this going forward or not. I had so much room in the hammock that I don't know if I needed the mod!

Here's a photo of it in action:
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro Hammock

The hammocks in the background are a Speer and a GT Ultralight (we also had an Eno Singlenest along on the trip).

One complication of the 11-foot length was that the suspension for my Te-Wa Summer Breeze underquilt was too short! I was prepared for that and simply put a 1-foot extension cord on each end and it was perfect.

BIAS is relatively new to the hammock business but their prices, customer service, and products make them well worth considering if you are looking to buy another hammock (or get started hanging above the ground).

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

Although, I havent had a chance to take it out yet. I was able to get mine done to 10.35oz w/ the knotty mod…..although, I got the 52" wide. I did sort of a review of my set up over at HF http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53091

-Eric

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was looking for a second hammock and ordered one of the BIAS Weight Weenie hammocks. It is well made and I think their package deal with a full suspension is a good buy. I prefer carabiners over toggles, but I have to admit that toggles are the lightest way to make the connection. I use the Camp Nano 23 carabiners, so it isn't a big deal. With the hammock, tree straps, whoopie slings, carabiners, a ridge line and stuff sack, the kit is 14.8oz on my scale. That is comparable to a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock that I used with a similar suspension, but the BIAS hammock has better construction and materials and is considerably larger.

I bought the full width model and there is no problem laying diagonally. I am 5'10" and my guess is that someone well over 6' would have no problem with that size. If I were to do it over again, I would order a narrower one. The 11" length is amazing. I have a back yard hammock area with anchors 16' apart and there was no problem bridging that length; in fact, the 16' span is ideal. If it were much shorter, the adjustments on the whoopie slings would bottom out.

I have a Hennessey XL Cat Cape tarp that should make a good combination with the BIAS WW hammock. It is 11.8oz and I get a rain cape in the bargain. One of these days I want to get a large Cuben tarp for my hammock; it is an excellent way to knock down the weight and get good foul weather protection. The Cape is asymmetrical and requires two stakes.

For the lightest setup I could use a wide CCF pad for insulation. I also have a silnylon undercover, the Hennessey SuperShelter OCF insulation pad and a space blanket. The undercover doubles as a poncho.

Using the toggles, the Hennessey Cape and a CCF pad would bring in the complete hammock at about 2 pounds and I would get multiple use rain gear as well.

I didn't mention bug screen options. If you want light weight at all costs, a head net would do and has multiple use options. I have a very Spartan net made by DP Hammock Gear that is 3/4oz and covers head to waist. I just got an REI Mombassa bug net that looks promising for adapting to hammock use. I see that BIAS offers an 8.8oz bug net; note that other manufacturer's full coverage bug nets are more like 15-16oz, so 8.8oz sounds pretty good.

I think the Weight Weenie hammock kit is a good bargain and I recommend it to anyone looking for a "starter" lightweight hammock. It is excellent for day use as is and will adapt to standard hammock tarps and insulation systems for a complete hammock shelter system.

James Volk
    BPL Member

@h2oboy007

Hi Kevin.
    I just ordered a WWM in 52"… I'm thinking of upping the width. I'm also right at 6' tall. I was just wondering if you have any thoughts. This will be my first camping hammock.

Thanks in advance.
    H2Oboy

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Sorry for the delay in responding…

The width helps, but I've found the real benefit of the BIAS hammocks is their length – at 11' they are MUCH more comfortable than shorter hammocks. I have a number of different hammocks (Speer 7', GT Ultralight, GT Nano-7) and the BIAS hammocks are, by far, the most comfortable and easiest to get to lay flat.

Especially if this is your first camping hammock, accept their fixed-length ridgeline. It will really help you get it hung correctly every time.

Remember you need to lay at a bit of a diagonal in these hammocks to get them to lay flat. You'll know as soon as you have it right…

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

52" is fine; the extra length allows more room to stretch out as well as the width. You do need to lie on an angle with your back flat and the hammock will fold around you taco-like. If you were taller some extra width might be useful, but at your height it ends up being extra floppy fabric on the sides.

The BIAS hammock is a good basic design and the package price is a bargain. As with many things equipment wise, the hammock itself is just the start. Bottom insulation and tarp will far exceed the cost of the hammock, and there is the big net to add. The hammock alone. is the ultimate day hiker's nap rig and chair.

Derek Hansen made this great illustration for hanging your hammock. Note that the greater the span (distance between trees), the higher the tree straps need to be to end up with the ideal 30* angle on the ropes.

Hammock rigging

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Thanks for the review. We don't get enough hanging reviews on BPL and hammockforums doesn't get a lot of emphasis on light backpacking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools