Topic

How I almost got my buddy hurt in the Roan Highlands

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports How I almost got my buddy hurt in the Roan Highlands

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I took a friend on what I figured would be a "moderate" first backpacking trip and grossly over-estimated his fitness level. It turned out to be a lot more challenging for him than I had anticipated. Lesson learned!

Full trip write up and photos on my blog: patrickofeasttn.blogspot.com

patrickofeasttn.blogspot.com

Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like quite an experience for your friend. Maybe after this one he will start to follow these forums a bit closer and pack a little lighter.

I'm planning on doing a trip in the Roan Highlands in a couple of weeks.

Your pictures are amazing.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Thanks for the nice words about my photographs, Brent. As for John lightening up I think its one of those things people usually don't let you take too much out of their pack the first time and it takes a few trips for them to learn what they need and what they really don't. I might get him out for a much shorter trip with other new-to-backpacking friends I've tried to get out in the mountains. His plan now is to do longer day hikes and work his way up into being in better shape.

You may miss the rhododendrons by a week or so with your trip, but it'll be a beautiful section to hike anyway (regardless of the weather). Have fun and report back when you're done with the trip!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Did that recently on a section with my 13yo son. I would rate the part from Carvers gap to Hump mountain as "moderate quot;. Especially the balds. Scenic..yes. Tough…not at all. Some short climbs but with good trail. From Overmountain to 19E we did that 10 miles in 4 hrs, keeping up with thruhikers who have been on trail for 6 wks. Hardest part is the boulder jumbles which are supposed to be the trail when coming down to 19E.

Good thing you didnt take him UP Roan from Hughes gap or 19E.

Roan is beautiful in bloom, and even more so when you get there by earning it (ie climb). Quite a lot of Rhododendron were blooming a few days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools