Topic

Catenary curve help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Catenary curve help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tristana Rodriguez

@tristana

Hello everyone

I'm new on here but I recently bought the tutorial for the pyramid tent and have started work!

I've had to tweak the size of the tent as I didn't have enough fabric. Can anyone advise me on what variables to input to the catenary curve spreadsheet?

I have no idea how much deflection I need!

In friendship

Tristana

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

What is the distance of your ridge line?

Are you using silnylon?

For silnylon, typical distance like 8 feet, probably 2.5 inches of deflection is about right.

Just curious, what do you mean "I recently bought the tutorial for the pyramid tent"

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

He's not a member, so in order to view certain articles you must either buy a membership or the particular article you want.

For the caternary curve, I wouldn't go more than 3 inches deflection. I made a 9ft tarp with 3in of deflection, it was too much I wish I would've used only 2in. My advice is to put a few different deflections into the spreadsheet and play with the numbers until you come up with what you like.

Tristana Rodriguez

@tristana

Hi

Thanks both

I think I did okay but I did find it hard to keep the curve once I flat felled the seam. I also didn't have as much fabric as the tutorial said so I had to tweak the pattern. I'm just hoping it's big enough to lie down in. I'm going to try the tent this weekend so will keep you posted.

I'm a girl by the way!

T

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Post some pictures

Tristana Rodriguez

@tristana

Hi Jerry & Co

Here's what I ended up with:In the evening, pitched by attaching the apex to paracord between two fence postsAnd after two nights - second night involved torrential rain for an hour or two, and V strong winds

I couldn't make the tent as large as I would like as I made it out of offcuts. Therefore I can't use it with a central pole as I have to sleep diagonally. That said, I'm pleased with its performance so am going to make do with it for now, and since I know it holds up, I'm going to add some more details, like a few elastic cords to help with the tension, and some toggles to pin back the entrance.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I like the multi-colors : )

Looks good – the curves are smooth – no huge wrinkles

Tristana Rodriguez

@tristana

Thanks Gerry

I didn't get any say in the colours – the fbric was free offcuts from a the hot air balloon factory!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools