Topic

Two weeks on the AT in June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Two weeks on the AT in June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

In late June I'll be spending about 2 weeks on the AT starting at Springer Mountain in Georgia and seeing how far north I can get in that time. I haven't spent much time hiking that far south, so any input is appreciated.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=7495

Thanks!

-David

patrick agius

@streamline

Expect hot, humid conditions with nasty buggers including skeeters and ticks,with more that probable evening thunderstorms. :)

Good luck.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

If you are looking for a place to stay before you start your hike, consider the Hiker Hostel. Google it. Not only is it a fine place to stay the owners know the trail. After Springer the trail crosses several forest roads and they can shuttle you to and from several points. Check out their option of "slack-packing through GA". They can drive you within a mile of the start of the AT if you do not want to hike the approach trail.

30 miles into your hike the trail crosses Neel's Gap. The trail goes right through a walled arch that is attached to the Walasi-Y Outdoor Center and outfitter. It is a perfect place to send home gear you do not need or get different gear, clothing, etc., and there is a shelter just beyond it plus it is a small hostel. They have a small food supply, too. The trail has plenty of ups and downs as you would expect. At mile 76 you will cross into North Carolina!

PS I notice you use a steripen. I carry a 1 liter pot on the outside of my pack. So, when I come to a water source , I can quickly fill it, use the pen, drink a liter and carry very little water at one time. Works great.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

I think your list looks great. I only have two questions/suggestions:
    – I personally wouldn't take the sunscreen. You will be walking under thick tree cover almost the entire time and I don't think you will ever need to use it.
    – I didn't notice any extra insulation other than the long sleave shirt and your quilt is a 45 deg quilt. Depending on how far north into NC you get, it could get a little chilly at night. If you have some other very light insulation, it may be worth taking. You would probably be fine without, just maybe a bit more comfortable.

I hope you have a great hike!

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I would think the hoody, the windshirt and rain gear should be enough layers.

BTW Is the Houdini your only rain gear? I notice it is not water proof, only water resistant.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming!

One of the things I've been most on the fence about is whether to take another insulation piece. I have a couple of light insulation options, a 7oz down jacket or 9oz synthetic, and I might end up throwing in one of those. If I don't need it I could always use it for a comfy pillow.

Also, I'm using a poncho/tarp for shelter and raingear, so it won't be available as an extra warmth layer at night.

Frank: I've used my cook pot with my steripen before, but actually forgot about using them together as I was planning. Thanks for the reminder!

-David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools