Topic

sespe may 18-20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports sespe may 18-20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

well

the sespe was a great trip with great people from bpl

weather was pretty descent high 80 s to low 90 s in the daytime and mid 40 s at night with a small breeze went ul fishing with a survival knife hook and 10 ft of line from the end of a survival knife fishing kit amazingly we cought more catfish than we expected on a variaty of bait from salami to cheese balls to dry dog food they just never stopped biting all fish were released safely back into the water final count

somewhere in the mid 20 s had a blast just seeing what bait they would bite on

yesterday around 5 pm one of our camp members yelled out hey there is a snake heading our way turned out to be a medium size rattlesnake so jack and i took our fishing stick and lifted it onto it so we could re locate it far up the hill behind our camp

have to give kudos to john west from borah gear for building jack and i a pair of awesome m 90 bivy sacks they both worked awesome with little to no condensation inside
    either of them

i will post more pics later but for everyone who was there feel free to add to the photo list when you get time

thanks to all who made it out next time we will try to hit it earlier in the year to avoid the snakes

kevin

sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Looks like a sweet trip, with a couple of happy dogs as well!

I have to ask, is that one of those chair/backpack deals on the dude with the green bandana? Man I want one of those.

kevin smith

@divr6347

jacks chair is a crazy creek sling chair that he carried in on the outside of his pack pretty cool chair though and super light with an all aluminum frame

jack loves it

kevin

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Kev, Jack, glad we hooked up with you guys, that was fun. i needed that bad after almost two weeks of down time.

The girls had a blast, Lula couldnt wait to get home to tell mama about our adventures. We took like 5hrs on the 4 mile walk to camp with them little chuckleheads tadpole fishin at every crossing and babysitting ladybugs along the way. Puppies, sand-covered tongues hanging, chasing lizards into the chamise. We finally coaxed 'em all out of the swimming hole in time to roll into camp and enjoy dinner, a hearty campfire and some warm scotch by the crick.

Something about a long evening around a fire, bare feet, soaking wet and watching them kids catch guppies. One thing though, next time I'm hiding the scotch from you guys, darn near kept the whole camp up all night with your drunken hijinks! ;)

…Me and my girl

ready

…Ladybug huntin grounds

penstemon

…easy strollin, but hot at times

hikin

…hot puppy paws

mushka

…Socal BPLers

camp

…fishing

fishing

…the finest accomodations

sleeping quarters

…trail angel

lula

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

I need to take a trip to Sespe soon…perhaps when it's cooler. The scenery looks beautiful and the kids looked liked they had a blast!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Jack, thanks for the solar lights, the kids really enjoyed them and it's the first thing that Lula busted out of the backpack to show Mom. She has it in her window now charging up so she can read in bed tonight.

Kevin, thanks for letting the girls sleep on your rain fly man, hope we didnt hurt it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Awwww man, I have to go hiking with you guys again. Looks like a fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Cool stuff and pictures! I really like that two man tarp set up. Who makes that tarp?

Thanks

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

A hot, bright sky
    bearing down
    on small hands and copper hair…
    our children chasing tadpoles
    every one of them named "Bob"
    while the fathers sit
    beneath cottonwoods
    beside the river.
    Timeless in the afternoon light,
    we sip beer
    sit watching
    proud
    of the sliver of childhood spent amongst water
    and grasses and warm breeze.
    We have given them this, at least
    and for now there is nothing to do
    nowhere to be
    but here.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Jay that is a Jack special Myog 10×12 tarp. I finished it the night before the trip, around 9:00 pm, and I still had to pack my stuff after that. The material was from Noah Lambert, silnylon 2nds. I sewed tie outs every 2 feet including the ridge line, haven't weighed it yet, but I will tonight and let you know how much it weighs. I'll post pics later and more shenanigan's

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Thanks Jack, That is nice set up for two with a lot of extra room. What's your ship time and what is the price in cuban fiber?

LOL

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks Jay, I've had a few request already. I wouldn't mine doing some, but I need to wait until I have a little more time to dedicate to it. My next project is an attempt at a MYOG Trailstar, will see!

My new hiking buddy. She could hike all day if I didn't stop her, and do it at 3-4 mph, she really loved it.

hiking dog

Lots of nice bloomage.

full bloom

all red

purple and yellow

butterfly

bush

nice view

This was a really nice tarp for 2, and my dog in the back ground just chillax'n

tarp

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Jay the tarp weighs in at exactly 20 oz.

kevin smith

@divr6347

here is a few more pics from ther trip i forgot to mention in my first post to

WATCH OUT IF YOU HIKE WITH ADAN AND CRAIG !! those fools will try to get you to go swimming in the crick as adan calls it at 10 o clock at night :) couldn t have anything to do with the scotch or beers could it LOL
    kevin
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sesppe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012
    sespe 2012

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

@Craig, nicely said man, especially for a jarlsberg man.

@Jack
    , hey "Jack Special" has a nice ring to it, that would make a good name for your business!

@Kevin
    , you did go swimming!! You mustve really been on a good one if you dont remember that pal!! ;)

kevin smith

@divr6347

well adan

i don t remember swimming at 10 pm but i do remember laying in my bivy watching two guys dancing around the campfire barefoot and spouting off about being (one) with the dirt LOL

kevin

Kyle McMahon

@kcamcmahon

Locale: I live in Bakersfield Ca

Kyle McMahon

@kcamcmahon

Locale: I live in Bakersfield Ca

Ok so I dont know how to post pics on this site. : )

kevin smith

@divr6347

your picture sucks lol (just kidding)

with that said call me when you get ready to post them and ill guide you thru it

pretty simple once you get the hang of it

kevin

Jason Ham

@jhamhb

Locale: Ventura

Nice trip, the Sespe is like my backyard, well its the closest area to my place!. Love it up there, plenty of hidden treasures for the hiker to discover! Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools