Topic

Garmin eTrex 30

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Garmin eTrex 30

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Looking at getting my first GPS device as a backup for when I bushwack alone. I always carry a map and compass and am comfortable using them. It would be reassuring to be able to have a backtrack mechanism that the GPS could provide.

Obviously, I could just buy the most expensive Garmin and have every feature available but I'd prefer not to shell out $700 as I anticipate buskwacking infrequently.

I do like the that it can track GLONASS, load TOPO 24k maps and also load Birdseye Imagery.

Any thoughts about this choice for what I am looking to do?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

The new Etrex series GPS's are a great choice if you are looking for a GPS to take backpacking.

I chose the Etrex 20 because the only difference between the 20 and 30 are the altimeter, electronic compass and the ability to beam data to another GPS. I wouldn't use these extra features (I've had the compass and altimeter in the past and didn't use them) so the extra cost wasn't worth it for me.

I've had many GPS's in the past and am pretty critical of GPS features in general but the new Etrex 20 (and 30) have added a ton of feature that have made me very happy with the new units. The improvements that are important to me are the increased track storage (200 tracks… finally!!), 2000 waypoints, Birdseye imagery (downloading more as we speak… it does take time but I've downloaded 10 Gb so far… :), and the custom map support is great (I've loaded a few local park maps onto my GPS and they have detailed trails and landmarks on the map… very cool to be able to geo-reference your own maps!).

I don't use the GLONASS satellites as I think it degraded the accuracy in my area but tough to tell really… just might have been a bad sky day. Nice to have the option though.

Jeff Moravec
    BPL Member

@mntentman

Locale: The Great Midwest

I've had more Garmin handhelds than I can count. Have been using an eTrex 30 for a few months and really like it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools