Topic

Ticketed on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

So how can I determine if this campsite is in fact designated by the deparment, and therefore falls outside this description of the law. Also, where did you find that information that you cut and pasted, it came right off the DEC website?

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

So it appears that the law won't cover me because it says "except at designated campgrounds." The shelters are not actually DEC designated campgrounds, so that's the problem right there. If the lean to had been on a DEC designated campground you'd be right, but I guess I have to suck it up here because they got me. On the other hand, the guy who got a ticket for being too close to the lean to should fight that, its not at all mentioned in the laws I read.

paul ron

@camper10469

Locale: North East

Lean-tos are designated DEC sites n have a yellow "camp here" disk on em. That means the 150' rule does not apply to camping within 150' of. You'll find lots of lean-tos right on the trails n by water sources so they wave the rule to accomodate camping there as the exception.

I e-mailed the DEC for a clearification n a copy of the enforceable codes n laws as written in details so we can get this nonsense behind us.. I'll bet they waffle on it saying they are posted on their site n never answer my specific questions concerning this "too close to a lean-to" camping business. Also most lean-tos have overflow sites near n by them.

Trail Kat

@trailkat

Just came across this post. My partner was also ticketed on the Devil's Path a few weekends after you. I don't know if it was at the same campsite, but it was a similar scenario. She and a few of the people in her group were camped next to a lean to, which was within 150' of the trail. From her description, it sounds like the same Ranger….a rather curt and unpleasant female that roused everyone in the morning and just wrote tickets without even trying to educate anyone on a better way to proceed. Her ticket came in at $150.00, which seems excessive to me. Clearly the state needs money and hikers are an easy target in the Catskills.

Honestly, it discourages me from ever going to the Catskills again. Maybe that's what they want. I'm not for breaking the rules, but when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, sometimes you have to make a judgement call. It seems that the OP made a reasonable choice. It doesn't seem worth it to get into it with an officer, however it seems this particular area is being targeted…and clearly this particular officer could use a lesson in people skills. Most of us out on the trail are interested in protecting these areas. Sometimes a rule may be broken, but clearly the OP didn't decide willy nilly. It doesn't mean we need to be treated rudely and fined excessively.

It's disappointing to hear about a Ranger acting this way. It reminds me of the folks that work at TSA. There seems to be no room for reason. My partner will also be writing a letter detailing her unpleasant experience with this particular ranger. I'm not against owning up to our mistakes, but like I said, the lack of respect shown by the Ranger makes it a more bitter pill to swallow.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Well consider her luckier than I, since my friend's ticket and mine came in at $175. I wonder what constitutes that fine? Mine was $100 fine, and $75 "fee." Stupid. I felt the same way. Clearly they need to just designate that as a campsite or get rid of the lean to altogether. Or better, propose a new campsite nearby if there's a reason that place isn't good for groups. But my thoughts are, using the impacted sites around the lean to is the best move for the sake of the area, it keeps the foot traffic concentrated. Maybe someone should post a warning to the other forums out there about this particular lean to area so other people don't fall into the same trap! Thoughts?

Trail Kat

@trailkat

My partner paid a $75 fine plus the same $75 "fee." What a joke! It's too bad this is what they are choosing to use their resources to enforce when there are other problems, as you mentioned in a previous post.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

"Eric…I hike and camp the Shenandoah's regularly and there is no park rule that says you have to camp at the shelters. I always stealth camp out there. The rangers know me because of my frequency there..have even shown me places to camp on their maps. What the shelter rules say is they are for the thru hikers first and not for anyone else."

Actually the rule for SNP states that the shelters are for long distance hikers spending three or more nights in the park. There is no mention of thru hikers. All of the shelters on the AT except those in the Smokies and in the Whites are on a first come bases and are treated that way in SNP also. The three night rule is largely ignored.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools