Topic

packaging DEET

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) packaging DEET

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I tried putting DEET into a microdropper that BPL used to sell. It leaks. Is this a bum bottle or is DEET doing something to the plastic?

Better, what do you guys use?

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

Eyedrops bottle.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I used the mini spray deet version last summer and it leaked out in a ziplock on a trip last summer, I thought it was a good idea because I wouldn't have to re-bottlet it but it ended up being faulty. I'm looking to rebottling too this summer…. Let us know !

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I had some DEET product leak in a bag and it disolved some plastic objects, like a wind/temperature instrument. For some reason that stuff is bad.

I got an "Ultrathon" DEET tube – 2 ounce net – I just carry that now even though it's a bit heavy. The tube is designed to tolerate it.

There are other fairly lightweight DEET tubes.

If you repackage it into a different container, it might not withstand it.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

IMO, the best way to package DEET is to leave it in the package it comes in and on the shelf at the store. :-)

DEET dissolves gear and is messy. And it's nasty on the places that need it most. Give me Permethrin-treated clothes and a headnet any day.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I had some DEET destroy one patch on a perfectly good auto paint job once. It just loves to dissolve certain plastics.

Currently I transport my DEET in a polycarbonate atomizer bottle that is about the size of my thumb.

–B.G.–

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bob, where did you find such a bottle?

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I have had DEET in those BPL dropper bottles, two sizes, for years now with no problems. Keep a small bottle in my mountain bike gear just for that once in a lifetime situation where I break a hanger and I'm being attacked as I fix things. Keep another bottle in my day hiking pack. And another in my backpacking gear.

That said, I haven't used the stuff in years. But it's nice to know I have the protection if I need it (that sounds bad…)

Probably a faulty bottle.

Steve

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Bob, where did you find such a bottle?"

small bottles

In the Bay Area, there is a chain of "Japanese Dollar Stores" that sell most products for $1.50, and the chain is called Daiso. The bottle I currently use came from one of them. The problem is that all stores do not have all products all of the time, but they will likely have something close.

–B.G.–

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

I'm with Dennis on this one – also quite curious about the origin of micro-sized atomizer bottles…

I have plenty of tiny droppers for repackaging (thanks Lawson!), but a tiny atomizer would be very useful for the non-DEET bug spray I use. (I'd use permethrin but have cats in the house, and DEET would melt most of my clothes…)

Edit: Thanks Bob. Okay, so I'll check my local Japanese supermarket. Lucky, there is one near me in the 'burbs – Mitsuwa Marketplace. Also, if you ever find yourself at Mitsuwa, Santouka in the food court has the best ramen in the world (I recommend the spicy miso w/ special pork).

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I do the same as Bob and put the deet in small spray bottles. You can find hand sanitizer in these bottles (for under $2) and I use one with sun screen (liquid not lotion), one with Deet and another with hand cleaner. I keep them in a shoulder strap pocket to keep them away from my gear just in case they leak.

Hand cleaner in spray bottle

Craig Rowland
    BPL Member

@craigr

Locale: Pacific NW

Been using this stuff on some hiking and it has been great against New Zealand sandflies and mosquitos. Not quite as long lasting as DEET, but doesn't melt plastic nor burn the skin when applied:

http://www.skintechnology.co.nz/products/insect-repellent/insect-repellent-new-generation/

I suspect it would go into just about any bottle you want.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools