Topic

Timberline Trail – First Week of July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Timberline Trail – First Week of July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm looking to do the Timberline Trail in two days this July. I'll give the Zig Zag ranger station a call but I was wondering if anyone knows if the trail is likely to be fully open and operational by then. Any other thoughts most appreciated.

I'm particularly interested in how to get around the Eliot Creek crossing.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Earliest I've done it is late August.

I usually start trying to get into high areas in Paradise Park or Cairn Basin in early July but it's difficult to find the trail, and where the trail traverses a steep slope, there is icy snow at steep angle you have to walk across. I'm familiar with it and choose places I know are somewhat easier. Doing the whole loop would be difficult.

You might be able to hike around on lower elevations like Zigzag ridge. Or go up Paradise Park trail up to Paradise Park.

Probably Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness on the other side of highway 26 would be doable. Or do something in Columbia Gorge like a Wahtum Lake loop. There are more trip reports at portlandhikers.org.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools