Topic

Nomad Ruck : the easy sew pack with patterns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Nomad Ruck : the easy sew pack with patterns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have been thinking about a easy sew pack for a long time. Trying to figure out a pack design that
    would be strong and easy to sew for every one. I came up with the Nomad Ruck, The main pack body will hold 35 liters not including the 8.5 inch over stuff extension sleeve or the combo front and side pockets.

The genius of the pack construction is the side and front are cut from one piece of fabric instead of three. And a combo wrap around bottom and back of the pack also.
    The pack is easy sew I only spent 4 hours total on this project compared to 10 to 12 hours for multi piece packs .

The other beauty of the pack you can make it how ever you want.It can be made with just a roll top closer with a one or two webbing top compression, Extension sleeve can be longer that 8.5 inches if you want, Instead of cord compression system you can make a webbing compression system or none at all. Fabric of your choice, Or a lid closer like I did because I like to have quick access to small items. You can taper the top of the main pack bag body like I did or square it of for more capacity.

For compression I used 2.5mm sterling cord that can be lace trough three 3/4" webbing tie outs on each side or my favorite Beastee dee rings. Then the front center daisy chain to separate the compartment is only bar tacked every 2 inches so you can thread compression cord through it inside the pocket instead of outside the pocket.It terminates at the top of the daisy chain at a Beastee dee ring to pull the cord through with cord lock to pull for compression of the pack load.

I also used my favorite Jandd removable cloud shoulder straps because I am tired of making shoulder strap that are not as comfortable. The 1 inch removal hip belt is a nice feature. I sewed a double layer of the fabric on the pack bottom in case of tears. I also made internal pocket to hold 10" by 18.5 " ridgerest back pad.

I used 500 denier cordura fabric because I like the durability and I will take the 6 to 8 ounce weight debt compared to 210 denier fabric.

Now the tale of the different dye lots in foliage green cordura 500D fabric. I ordered a yard of Foilage green 500D cordura and it was light colored from my favorite online fabric shop. Then a month later I decided to make the Nomad pack project so I ordered from the same fabric shop another yard of Foliage green 500D cordura and it was darker foliage green than the first. Lesson learned order enough fabric in popular fabric or you may get different dye lots.

When the Nomad pack is packed I can fit all my essentials in the main pack bag,My OR aurora bivy and a water bottle in one front/side pocket and my ground sheet,umbrella,water bottle in the front/side other pocket. Top pocket hold head lamp,first aid kit, Fleece cap and gloves, Small Brunton monocular for looking at birds of prey.

Have fun sewing this project,
    Terry

Now to the Nomad Ruck photos:
    Nomad Ruck front

Nomad Ruck side

Nomad Ruck back

Nomad Ruck bottom

Nomad Ruck top

Nomad Ruck Extension Sleeve

The patterns and the pack parts before I sewed the back and front together. The way I cut the front side pattern is. I folded the fabric in half with the back coated side out of the fabric and pinned all the way around .Then drew out the pattern of the pack on the fabric and then I cut it out and unfolded the fabric and I had a perfectly match front and sides.
    At first I called the pack the Easy Ruck because it was easy to sew.The finished product is the Nomad Ruck that has been my dream pack, I have been trying to figure out how to make for the last couple years.
    Pattern and cut out photos:

Nomad Ruck front/side pattern

Nomad Ruck Back bottom pattern

Nomad Ruck Pocket plan

Nomad Ruck front side cut out

Nomad Front/side pocket cutout

Nomad Ruck back/bottom cut out

Nomad RucK back /bottom back pad pocket

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Bookmarked this thread Terry.

Awesome.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Sweet design Terry. Keeper!

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

Nice and simple. Good work!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Thanks for the nice comments about the pack. The only thing I think I might add is a 3" deep top pocket instead of the flat top pocket in the same shape. So I can get my montbell rain jacket in it plus my other stuff.
    Terry

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

This is really nice. I will bookmark as a possible winter project. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools