Topic

Hiking in Kansai, Japan. Specific info request

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hiking in Kansai, Japan. Specific info request

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Dolman
    Spectator

@andydolman

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience hiking in the Kansai region of Japan? I and some colleagues will be in Kyoto for a conference in July, and we plan to spend a few days hiking afterwards. I have the Lonely Planet "Hiking in Japan" 2nd edition (2009) and the following routes from the Kansai section are shortlisted:

11. Odai-ga-hara to Osugi (p185)

7. Yatsubuchi-no-taki (p172); possibly paired with

6. Buna-ga-take (p171) with an overnight stay in a mountain hut,

I've heard that the suggested routes in the LP can be a bit 'sub-optimal' but that the destinations themselves are sound.

Camping is also a possibility – but that might be just me on my own.

Any route or hut recommendations? Or good places for info in Kyoto? Maps etc …

Thanks,

Andy.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I did Yatsubuchi-no-taki as a day hike. Excellent hike. Found the LP guide accurate, including public transport directions to trailhead. Looking at the time stamp on my photos, it looks like it took us about 5-5.5 hours, including lunch but not including transport.

This was in May–I expect conditions in July would be much more hot and humid.

Here's some pics (note ladders and chains in middle two):

falls

ladders

chains

vista

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

One of the best sources for hiking in the Kansai region is Wes Lang from Hiking in Japan. He also has a Facebook group called, "Hiking in Japan", where you can join and contact him directly.

p.s. (Wes is the author of many Lonely Planet articles on hiking in Japan)

Andrew Dolman
    Spectator

@andydolman

Thanks for the info guys. I've joined the Facebook group and will ask for specific info there.

David, Yatsubuchi-no-taki looks excellent – and 5.5 hours makes an easy day trip (timewise) so I'd say that's on hte list.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools