Topic

How long might some of these things last?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition How long might some of these things last?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

How long do you think some of these items might last in your backpack in conditions of 50-ish nights and 80-ish days?

1. Pre-cooked real bacon that I cooked myself (not the shelf-stable crumbles.)

2. Spice paste such as Thai Kitchen green curry paste removed from jar and put into something plastic.

3. Pre-cooked, non-dehydrated potatoes.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

1. Pre-cooked real bacon that I cooked myself (not the shelf-stable crumbles.)
    Depends… How dry do you cook it? How much salt in it to start with? Added Sugar?
    Cooked till crumbly, I would say two weeks plus(being conservative, here.) Don't let it pick up any moisture. Theoretically, dried food should last nearly forever. But the fat WILL get rancid.

2. Spice paste such as Thai Kitchen green curry paste removed from jar and put into something plastic.
    Depends, Mustard is good for a couple weeks. Soy sauce is good for a while, two weeks plus… Curry paste can have large amounts of salt, some has very little. Some is left out as a condiment. Some is kept refridgerated. It is hot, but that does not mean that it won't spoil. Salt and other preservatives will keep it far longer than home made curry sauce.
    Don't do it. At 80F days it will last 1, maybe two days. A raw (living) potatoe will keep about 5 days to a week under the same conditions. Carbs spoil quite rapidly once the cell inetgrity is broken. Of couse this can be delayed by how it is cooked. A french fry will just about deydrate itself, staing good for a long time..2 weeks plus. A boiled potatoe with the skin removed will go bad quickly…24 hours if kept dark with some handling between(as a starter culture.)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Thais do NOT refrigerate their curry pastes. The salt preserves it.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

It depends, are we talking McDonald's fries here?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Thank you.

I'm not talking McDonald's fries. Last time I did an overnight backpack I nuked a sweet potato and brought it with me cold but cooked. I had it for dinner in a coconut curry I made with tuna, coconut manna and thai green curry paste. Oh man, that was the best backpacking dinner ever! It was so good I've been eating it at home.

I have a 4 or 5 day, probably 4, trip coming up and I think I could eat coconut curry every night. Maybe I will only be able to have the sweet potato with it on the first night. I'll have to think of something for the other nights. I think I have some rice noodles lying around. They're not nearly as tasty as sweet potatoes, though.

As for the bacon, I have a bunch of bacon and thought maybe if it lasts on the trail I could use that up. Maybe if I cook the hell out of it it'll last a few days.

I'm trying to both use up stuff I already have and think of new things out of the ordinary. I think I'll take a trip to the Asian market and see what things I can find there.

Shannon Woody
    BPL Member

@swoodyut

Locale: The Front Range

Do you have a dehydrator? I believe you can dehydrate cooked potatoes and then pulverize in a food processor to form a powder. Add hot water at camp for instant mashed sweet potato.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Yams make excellent leather. Mash. Spread. Dehydrate.

bring the sriracha sauce!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools