Topic

AT – Four State Challenge

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips AT – Four State Challenge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I just moved up to PA and want to jump right into the local hiking scene. First on the list is the Four Stare Challenge. For this that haven't heard of it it involves about 45 miles starting in PA, going through Maryland and WV and finishing up in Virginia (hence the name) I am targeting to do this in early to mid June.
    1) anyone out there interested in a long day of trail running and/or fast hiking? I hope there is since I really don't want to do back to back four state challenges to get back to the car.
    2) anybody already done it? Any helpful hints?

We can't let all the fun occur out on the west coast. I did the R2R2R with the west coaster crew and it was a blast. Let's bring some fun east!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Greg,

Welcome to PA! Where are you? We have some great hiking in PA – including some trails that might be really good training runs for you.

I spent the weekend with some friends on the Mid State Trail. We did 23 miles and didn't see a single other person on the trail.

I'm not in your league in terms of daily mileage so I wouldn't volunteer to go with you on your Four State Challenge, but I'm happy to point you to some good loop hikes in PA.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I'll be out on the west coast in mid June, but if you wanted to do the challenge again I'd go down to PA from Boston for the weekend and do the challenge with you.

Preston Dudley

@pjdudley

I have done this section of AT plenty of times, including runs and backpacking. I live in MD, near Annapolis, and get out every weekend for long runs, long 2-night overnights etc. Have you gotten out to do it yet, or still looking to, or even looking to do it again?

Preston Dudley

@pjdudley

The best method for a two person, or two car at least, trip is to head south from Pen Mar Rd trailhead parking in PA, to the summit of the Blue Ridge (the VA WV line), with a point to point mileage of ~45mi.

The first car needs to be parked at the Pen Mar Rd trailhead, and the second parked at the lot at the corner of US340 & Shenandoah St on the north-west side of the Shenandoah River ~2mi north of the Blue Ridge/VA-WV summit. This means, after the completion of ~45mi south to the Blue Ridge Summit, there is a ~2mi 850ft descent back to the car at US340 & Shenandoah St.

Here's an approximate elevation profile. The mileage is bit off due to the in-capabilities of TOPO! with accounting for actual trail/switchbacks/etc.

FourStateChallenge_ElevProfile

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Yes, I did a double 4 state challenge a couple of weeks ago. Frankly it wasn't much of a challenge since the terrain is so tame except for the rocks in places. It was a nice section of trail from a history standpoint and I will be hitting harpers ferry again. I am tentatively planning to do the NJ section of the AT the weekend of July 13th. It should be in the 70 to 90 range depend on the start point. Let me know if you're interested in this one.

Preston Dudley

@pjdudley

Oh nice. Yeah, the area doesn't offer much of a physical challenge in terms of terrain/elev, but the history of the entire area really runs deep in the Civil War.

For NJ, definitely. At ~72mi I assume you plan on a 1 night trip (sat/sun)?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

If it's solo I will head to DWG and take a shuttle somewhere at the other end, there are a couple of options depending on desired trip length. If I remember correctly there is a good trail crossing at somewhere near mile 84. Hike Saturday and Sunday. Generally I will do a 40+ first day and then a shorter day on Sunday for the drive home late Sunday. If you're game we can do the above plan or do a double car shuttle. Likely a paid shuttle would be easier and quicker. Pm me if interested and we can firm up plans.

Remington Roth
    BPL Member

@remjroth

Locale: Atlantic Coast

If anyone is interested in tackling this challenge the weekend of October 28th, please let me know. Thanks.

jonathan hauptman

@6hauptman6

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.

Did it years ago as an overnight. I parked in Penn Mar and then hitched rides back from Harper's Ferry. I was surprised that in only took a couple of hours with numerous short hitches. There are some very nice people around these parts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools