Topic

Alcohol Stove Fuel Types – The Black Coating?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alcohol Stove Fuel Types – The Black Coating?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    evan parsons

@freestyleparsons

Locale: Dowtown LA

I've just made a quick alcohol stove. It seemed to burn fine, but a good amount of black powder coating is left on the outside of my pot. I used 91% Isopropyl Alcohol from the pharmacy, is there a better fuel?

Is this Normal? Has anybody had this same black coating result? I'm wandering whether my stove is just burning the fuel improperly or if that's just kinda the deal with alcohol.

Evan Parsons' Original Custom Alcohol Stove Robot

It sits about 1.5'' high at about 3'' diameter with 12 standard hole punch sized holes placecd 1/2'' below the brim. It is a closed jet stove created from a 24 oz. Tecate beer can.

Evan

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I dont get any residue from my alcohol stoves. Maybe that is burned paint from the beer can?

evan parsons

@freestyleparsons

Hi Brett-

Oh, good to know, I had began to assume that alcohol just burns that way. I'm thinking I may have the wrong type of fuel, it's just alcohol from the pharmacy, what do you use?

Evan

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hi Even,
    You're getting soot because you're using rubbing alcohol. Try denatured alcohol instead and you won't get any residue–it burns clean. You can find it in the paint section at the hardware store. S-L-X is a good brand or you can use the auto-fuel additive "Heet" from the auto parts store (just make sure you only use the yellow bottle and not the red).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Walmart even sells their own brand of "heet" type fuel additive.

evan parsons

@freestyleparsons

Hey thanks ya'll,

I'm back on the right track… and after only a couple of messy experiments.

Evan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools