Topic

Quilt for AT thru-hike (MYOG)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt for AT thru-hike (MYOG)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Stick,
    Yeah: material, material, insulation. Here's a diagram from when I was planning things (note I changed the drawcord channel, and left out velcro):

quilt diagrams

I had planned to top-stitch the side seams as well, but it looked just fine without. As I said, I found closing the top (neatly) a little challenging. Next time, I'd leave a smaller unsewn seam, in a less conspicuous spot, and prob. baste the "middle layer of fabric to the insulation before turning right side out.

I enjoy your blog, BTW.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Man with all this quilt talk lately I've also decided to make my own synthetic summer quilt. I intend to use TiGoat's 8D for the outer shell, 2.5oz Apex, and I want to try to get some of the 8 homme silk I've heard mentioned in other threads for the liner. Can anyone tell me where I might find this particular silk? I can't seem to locate the thread, and no luck on google. Also, good luck to everyone else who is doing some quilt making right now!!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Try this:
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3589-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_silk.html

I believe it's "8 momme" (the "homme" was prob. a typo)

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Thank you. I checked it out and they have the 8mm in black but not the 5mm, it's white. I don't think white would make for a good quilt liner. I really want a black liner to go with the kelly green 8D. I guess I could just use black M50 or even black 1.1oz ripstop from Diygearsupply. I just can't make up my mind yet.

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

Just got the Kelly Green 8D in the mail today. I can't believe how small the package was for 5 yards of that stuff. Especially considering how large the rolls of Cordura and Xpac were in 5 yard increments. Nice!

I can't wait to get started with this.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

That is awesome Dion! Keep us updated with your progress. Also, just curious how long it took for the To Goat package to arrive? My Climashield will be here tomorrow and I'm anxious to get started too!

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

The 8D took four days to get here. It arrived the day after my Thru-hiker package shipped. And they were both ordered on the same day!

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Great, thanks! I actually came home today to the package from Thru Hiker sitting at my door…I ordered it on Friday afternoon so that was pretty dang quick shipping! Maybe the stuff from Ti Goat will show up soon so I can get started…

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools