Topic

Life After NOLS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I am curious to hear from those who have graduated from the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) and what life is like after graduation. For example:

– was NOLS a continuation of your outdoor profession or a total career change?
    – were you satisfied with job availability after graduation?
    – what are the average job work hours, salary, benefits, timeoff, etc?

As with any education, earning the degree is one thing, available job opportunities are another (especially in this economy).

Thanks!

Luke H.

@scraps111

What kind of job are you looking for? Are you wanting to work for NOLS or as a guide? What course are you taking? I graduated from NOLS, but wasn't really interested in attending NOLS for the purpose of getting a job, so I can't help you too much. They do have resources available after you graduate to connect you with possible employers. Also I think just having that on your resume will give you an edge over other job applicants, especially if the employer knows about NOLS. Good luck, I think you'll find your NOLS experience extremely rewarding and you'll learn skills that you will use in your daily life even if you aren't working in the outdoor industry.

R S

@rps76

Sent you an PM with real life experience.

Andrew Jennings
    BPL Member

@breaktheshoal

Locale: West of the Mississippi

Hey R S,

While I've got other plans on the horizon, I would love to get your take on NOLS and the opportunities post graduation if you feel comfortable sharing.

Thanks!

Ethan Smith

@ecsmith

Locale: Wild

Hey Guys,

I was browsing google, and I stumbled upon this post. I have been wondering much the same as everyone else on this post. I am currently a college student, and I have been debating taking at least a semester at NOLS or IWLS or a similar organization, possibly with the intent of some sort of outdoor career afterward. Anyone care to share personal information, tips, or job opportunities and availability with me? Thanks.

David Heldreth

@wave517

Hey Everyone,

I actually took a semester as part of my degree years ago. Having NOLS on your resume definitely opens up some doors because everyone knows them. Also they have this job posting service mentioned in a previous post. Essentially companies come to them with job postings, and NOLS has a list serve that emails those postings to alumni. I get about 5-10 jobs in my email inbox every weekday. The jobs range from camp counselor to trail crew to guide to executive director, so the full gamut. I found every job since college on there actually. Full disclosure, I work for NOLS now as an instructor. Feel free to send me a message with more questions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools