Topic

wood stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear wood stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Any designs for a light weight wood stoves out there?
    i.e., like the bush buddy.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore
    Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Yeah, I'm busy working on converting a quart size new paint can into one.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I thought a quart paint can would be the perfect size to. Let us know how it works out.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

This thread took place quite a while back:

Homemade Downdraft Gassifier Wood Burning Stove

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

I just built a wood burning stove. I am fairly new to UL backpacking and this is my first MYOG project.

I dont know if it technically counts as a downdraft gassifier but it weighs just over an ounce (35 grams, not including the GG ti stakes, I would carry these anyways for my tarp). I tested the stove this evening and was able to boil a pint of water in about 9 minutes.

I would love to get one of those bush buddys but I just dont have the money in my backpacking budget at this point in time. I am hoping to use this type of stove as an affordable substitute.

The stove is based on the design of Mark Jurey at:

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/pennywood.html

I made the stove from a standard 14.5 oz can of green beans and added 3 GG ti stakes to serve as a pot stand.

I plan to try it out in the field later this spring and will be practicing my fire building techniques at home to make sure I can use the stove in a variety of weather conditions.

Ive included a few pictures of the stove.

wood stove

wood stove in action

bottom of wood stove

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

This is what I came up with this past fall when I was experimenting with the Downdraft stoves. I like the double wall design better for in order to have the design below work properly you must have a tall windscreen anyway.

Wood Stove Side

Wood Stove Top

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Scott, you and Sam have already 'discovered' the single modification that gets you the most "bang for your buck" (aka biggest increase in efficiency / ease of use for the amount of manufacturing effort) in homemade woodstoves… raising the floor so that air can freely flow into and up from your burn area.

I, too, really want to get a bushbuddy (and, according to my wife I NEED to as I don't "spoil" myself nearly as much as my income should allow… I took my knocks in college and wound up as an engineer… but now I'm straying way too far off topic…).

However, I work with a boyscout troop and try to teach and display for them DIY gear in order to save $$ and weight. I already arranged (along with one of the other leaders, who worked at a place that had a automated plasma cutter) to "make" each of them a nimblewill nomad, but now am leaning towards the can stoves (it's been fun to see them emulate and sometimes forget important concerns of design… which then becomes another teaching poitn).

Anyhow, I suspect you are going to get some good use out of that penny stove. One thing I might suggest adding (it's on penny's instructions) is a cut up peach can as a windblock / screen. It'll improve the performance of your stove without much weight penalty (you could also use aluminum something or other, but you trade some robustness for some weight), and it'll be about the perfect height.

Gene .

@tracker

Scott, the only concern I have with your model are the sharp edges scare the heck out of any UL fabrics! How will you carry this in/on your pack?

Steve, 2 things I thought would work in the quart paint can's favor, A) the lid can be punched so as to provide pot supports when reversed, yet still be able to 'close' the can, possibly allowing internal storage of fire related items.

B) The lower inlet air holes could be placed to support the 'floor screen', again, no protruding sharp edges allowing packing in a regular silnylon storage bag attached to my pack's exterior if desired.

matthew hart

@jomatty

i used the one that is described at the TLB site as a basis for mine. i like the idea of raising the floor though. mine is a pineapple juice can that has been churchkeyed along the bottom and has a large triangle cut in the side. the pot rests directly on top of the can and it seems to work fairly well although i find i need to continue to feed small sticks etc into it to get much of a boil. i like it but not as much as a simple alcohol stove and beercan pot. one idea that im thinking about is a stove/windscreen that can burn alcohol/esbit/wood. im thinking about somehow using aluminum siding for the windscreen and making it so that you dont use the alcohol stove but the windscreen converts into a wood burning stove. not sure if it is possible but it would be a kinda cool thing if it worked.

matt

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Here are a few pics of a 'paint can' wood stove prototype. The outside of the burner is made from a new quart size paint can ($1.99). The inside of the burner is made from a new pint size paint can ($1.49). The pot stand/chimney is made from two recycled tin cans. Both paint cans are used upside-down. The removable 'bottom' might be useful as an ash clean-out or a tinder chamber.
    Weight: 6- 7/8 ounces.

I don't doubt that it will take many test burns and tinkering to perfect it, but that's another day!

Wood stove stored

Stove Assembled

Stove burner and chimney

Looking thru bottom of can. (Paint can lid removed for picture.)
    Stove bottom

Looking down into burner.
    Stove inside

Post script: Cones for K-Mart grease pot.
    Cones

Gene .

@tracker

Dang Lance! That was way faster than I was able to put mine together, I cordially defer further questions on the 1 QT Paint can WoodStove.

What did you use to punch the holes in the paint can?

What is the screening sitting on inside the can? this is where I was stymied, and slowed on my build.

Not able to follow where the pint can is inside the 1qt can, could you elaborate?

I'm staring at the tin can and trying to figure out how you got that configuration, the lid it's on seems 1" larger+ than the cut away can? Purpose of the large cutout on the tin can's side?

Thanks, Gene

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

I made the holes with a punch from Harbor Freight. Cost about $25, but it's been HANDY!
    Punch

The pint can 'hangs' upside down from the top of the stove. Here are the steps I took:

1. Punch holes in the quart can. (I was barely able to fit the can over the punch.)

2. Cut a hole in the bottom of the quart can the diameter of the pint can. (the body diameter of the pint can, not the rim diameter. This gives a tighter fit.) The bottom of the quart can then becomes the top of the stove.

3. Next cut the bottom 1/2" off of the pint can and make snips around the cut edge. The metal between the snips will later be bent over as tabs.

4. Punch holes in the pint can.

5. Hold the quart can with the factory top down and the cut hole up. Hold the pint can with the factory top down and the cut end up. Feed the pint can up through the quart can and through the cut hole far enough so that you can bend the tabs out.

6. Lower the pint can until the tabs rest on the quart can. Drill and pop rivet a few of the tabs.

7. The factory top of the upside down pint can provides the flange necessary to support the wire mesh.

8. The chimney/pot support is assembled essentially the same way.

The purpose of the large cutout in the tin can chimney's side is to improve draft and provide an opening the add fuel to the burner without lifting off your pot.

Here are two more pics.

Looking straight down into the burner. You can see the flange the mesh rests on and the 'tabs' cut in the pint can that are bent out and rivited to the quart can.
    Stove mesh

Looking straight into the bottom of the stove (With the factory paint can lid removed).
    Stove bottom

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lance,

Looks good. Could you include a cross section drawing as well as a a picture of your stove with a pot boiling water?

Thanks

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Roger,
    Here is a 2D cross section and some pictures in use. It used a lot more fuel than I expected, even for it's maiden voyage. Estimating the BTUs in the grams of fuel used vs the BTUs absorbed by the water, efficiency for the system was disappointing at 10-15%. However, it did appear to burn gases as they rose past the secondary air ports and left just a tiny bit of ash when done. Modifications and additional test will have to wait for another day.

wood stove 2d revised

more wood stove

stove burning

stove burning more

Boiling water

wood stove post boil

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Hey, how'd the floor look when you were done?

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Is that carpet I'm seeing!!!??

Gene .

@tracker

Most definitely of the short nap indoor kind *GRIN*!

Thanks Lance for the great job, and informative post on this project. I'd appreciate an update to this thread as you work out your kinks with the woodstove.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

The carpet is a special heat sinking, non-combustible, broom finish product I had laid (poured) in my driveway!!!

Thanks for the positive comments.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools