Topic

Mary Jane’s Outpost meals

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Mary Jane’s Outpost meals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I'm going to be lazy and splurge on my next trip and I was wondering if those of you that have tried these can help. I'm not a huge eater, especially my first couple of days at elevation, and I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting the 2 serving pouch and dividing it in half (assuming I can do this successfully)and taking just one portion rather than the 1.5 serving size? I just don't want to have any waste. I'd appreciate input from those who've had these meals, especially other women that don't eat like field hands, lol. Once I get my appetite back later in the trip, I might go with the 1.5 servings :)
    Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The 1.5 serving is TINY!!!!!!!!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Leigh,
    I take MJF every trip–the company is based in the town where I live, and our food co-op carries some of the meals in bulk. Very tasty, but pretty low calorie density. "Serving size" is only about ~230 Calories, at ~100 Cal/oz.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Thanks you guys! That helps a lot! It does appear that the 2 serving size is a better deal, and in some cases the same price. Sarah, so in your opinion, would the 1.5 be too little for one meal? Two servings seems too much, but then I have no experience with them at all. I guess I could get the two serving and shave just a little off?

I do see they're pretty low in fat, but I always carry a little ol. oil and I take a small bit of good parm :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Leigh…I'd suggest you try one out :-)

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I have looked at these online and saw some I'd like to try, but they seem very pricey.

For example, I could buy a box of Far East Couscous (any flavor) that makes 4 servings for about a third of the price of a "Farmhouse" size of MJO's couscous types that only contain 2 servings.

What am I missing? Are these just that good that people don't mind paying such a steep price premium? or is it something else about the quality, etc.

Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

It really comes down to convenience more than anything. If a person doesn't have access to a well stocked "hiker's kitchen pantry" making complete meals can be challenging. I might add a couple of years ago I worked on replicating the meals and came up with many recipes that have not been published – that are clones of MJ meals…..they will see light at some point :-)

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Susan,
    I agree with you. And Sarah, I agree as well. My lazy spell quickly abated after I looked over their offerings, and heck,I have a dehydrator! It's actually going as I type this….I'm not a picky eater, albeit, vegetarian, and maybe a little bit of a food snob, so yes, why not just dehydrate the things I already eat at home :) My first post was a byproduct of too much work and not enough time to sit and plan.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

While I've been impressed with the MJO quality I prefer to create my own recipes and dry them.

It is more economical and it is a great way to deal with leftovers rather than letting them sit in the fridge until they fester. I also like the control of flavor, spice, salt, and such.

Last night for example… we had a dish of ground turkey that I seasoned as Hot Italian Sausage would be seasoned. To the turkey mixture I added zucchini, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sweet peppers, tomatoes, fresh basil, fennel, chili sauce (or plain tomato sauce), black pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Oh and a splash of red wine to deglaze the pan. This was sauteed and we have tons leftover. So now it's on the dehydrator now and will be used tossed with pasta, olive oil and shavings of good quality parmiggiana-reggiano…. or it will be used hot in a pita or wrap with some rehydrated dried feta cheese. If early in a trip I might even pack in some nice Italian rolls and have it hot on that with a slice of smoked provolone.

Sometimes it seems complicated but drying what you are already cooking for a meal at home can really add variety to a menu and, if you create a stock of meals in your freezer, you'll have a selection at your fingertips.

Now if only I could keep Bryan from taking the meals on his business trips and rehydrating them in his hotel room. He's such a pain! (smiles)

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

I have never tried dehydrating my own food. I would have to get some instructions and invest in a machine so I just have never done it. As a rsult, i just look for better quality instant meals. I like the ones with separate flavor packets so I can discard those or cut them in half if they have too much salt. Otherwise I just take easy things like couscous that I can add whatever I want to when I make it, same for instant mash potatoe flakes. I take a little oil and spice mix with me to add to things as i tend to like very spicy food. I like some of the salt-free Mrs. Dash varieties and just take it in a small ziploc snack bag.

But I'm always interested in some variety, which is why I looked at MJO website. I did see the dried bean flakes that may be more versitle to use to add to things I regularly make instead of buying the prepared meals.

Has anyone tried those? Are they worth it for price, taste and do they cook quick?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The beans taste good and are easy to prepare :-)

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Thanks Sarah!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools