Topic

FAK

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists FAK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

This is what I have currently in my FAK, I'm heading up for 5 days in the Pecos in a month. There will be others going, but all will carry their own, though the "leader" usually carries a good size kit (he use to lead SC trips.)I prefer to know exactly what I have.

2 antibiotic ointment, 2 antiseptic wipes, wound closure strips (5 sealed),1 transparent semi-permeable dressing, 1- 2nd skin for burns, small amt. hydropel, thin maxipad for wound dressing,sm. laminated sheets of FAguide (from my WFA class),irrigation syringe wrapped with med tape, several sm bandaids, 2 safety pins.
    Meds: 2 amoxicylin,2 immodium, 2 sinus,2 benadryl,2 vicodin, 4 baby asp,superglue, needle/thread, POE pad repair kit.
    Wt. 4 oz. including the small loksak it's stored in.

I keep a separate small baggie of Ibuprofen in a small MLD waist pack(my ditch kit)along with the following: purell,lip balm,compass,map,heet sheet,fire starter,lighter,
    deet in tiny bottle,sunscreen in tiny bottle,micropur,piece of pantihose for screening big stuff from water,cut down platy for water collection,e-lite,headnet,knife,car key and cc/id/med card. Total wt. 14 oz.

Critique please.
    Thanks,

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Seems reasonable to me. Carry what you're comfortable with.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I would ditch the amoxicillin, given that you have a syringe, purell, and wipies (Are both anti-septics necessary?). Keeping a wound clean is going to cut down on the chance of systemic infection and antibiotics are best given as a course of medication anyway. I'm not sure that two doses would do anything useful.

Consider a combination decongestant/anti-histamine. I would pick either the dressing or the maxipad. And I would ditch the vicodin and aspirin–but then I know my pain tolerance and heart health are both high.

I have not used an e-lite in the field, but in the store it seemed very dim for what it weighed.

I favor tape over bandaids and would probably ditch the bandaids and add another round or two of tape. Is there duct tape in your repair kit? Can that do double duty? (I know some people have a reaction to the adhesive). I've not used superglue for wound closure–given the tape and steristrips, is it necessary?

Going the other direction, I would probably increase the amount of sunscreen (but then you may not burn easily) and throw in a few more safety pins, since they are useful for repairs as well as first aid.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I appreciate you critique. You make a valid point about the amox. and actually what I have listed as sinus, is actually a decong./antih., a cold/allergy thing. Thanks also for pointing out the lack of duct tape, it's there, just not in the FAK,good point about the superglue and dressing also. As far as the sunscreen, I'm pretty fair skinned and have to be cognizant of sun exposure so after a long sleeve shirt, hat long pants and sungloves, there's not much left to put sunblock on LOL. I've measured what I used on a previous trip and what I've got is sufficient I think.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I've done a few ill advised tests of personal pain tolerance of my own. Now I carry enough prescription pain meds to self evacuate if things go south. For me that's about 5 tabs. Two initially and one every six hours thereafter. An extra headlamp battery reserved for emergency all night walks makes my FAK. May you never need them!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools