Topic

Not quite UL but under 1200grams for a shelter required with specific needs in mind.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Not quite UL but under 1200grams for a shelter required with specific needs in mind.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Hi everyone,

I am almost ready to push the green 'buy' button on the Ranibow TarpTent (1200g inc clip in liner and groundsheet) but just want to double check my options. Please read my requirements below and can you suggest any other shelter for me apart from the Rainbow TT.

1.I/we do 3day 2 night through hikes (may extend stay by a few nights coming up) in no less than freezing temps and never on/in snow. (I have insulating Exped mat and 250 fill down bag).
    2.Never above tree line.
    3.I live in a humid sub tropical climate (so a strictly single wall shelter may not suit).
    4.I am 194cm tall 84kg.
    5.I 'prefer' but not necessarily 'have to' have my pack inside the shelter overnight.
    6.Never camp in desert.
    7.Actually always have gone to rugged bush areas climbing up to 1200 meter mountaintops.
    8.I want my shelter inc groundsheet to be under 1200grams.
    9.Not yet ready to do the real UL thing….that's later in life :).
    10.Is that enough info for my requirements/needs to buy the right shelter?

Many thanks again.

Mik.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Looking for tall people and the tents you guys use :)

Mike Allen

@michaellea62

Locale: UTAH

You might want to check out the lightheart solong 6. I've heard that it's made for tall people, and it has gotten some good reviews.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Thank you for the reply and yes I will check out that tent too but surely there are more than just 2 options available for my requirements!!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Mostly, your params sound like a UL tent with good ventilation and good condensation characteristics (hightlow vents.)

This opens up a world of possibilities. Tarps and UL tents in all sorts of configurations for you and your partner. Actually, a two man tent is very efficient in terms of space per weight carried, split amung two people. Most 2 skin tents weigh a bit more than your stated goal of 1200g (1.2kg or 2.6lbs,)though. Even a single skin Stephensons weighs about 2#11 or 43ounces. Good but the condensation is poor in a single skin configuration, and, heavier than you want.

Assuming a subtropical enviornment, I am not sure of some of your params. 250 fill?? Usually fill for sleeping bags/quilts is more than 650, often 800 or more. You didn't mention bug protection and is often a priority around 50-80F(10-25C.)

Six Moon Design, Bear Paw, TarpTent, Gossamer Gear is rummored to be working on a new design, lots more… All less than your required weight.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe metric units make it too difficult for us dumb USA people : )

I'm 6' 2" and use 9' square pyramid tent, which seems a bit larger than necesary so would be fine for your 194 cm height. Single wall, no floor. It gets condensation sometimes but the walls are high enough and steep enough it's not a problem. 22 ounce tent. That would fit into your 1200 gram (42 ounce budget) even after you added pole, stakes, and ground cloth.

I made mine but MLD and Oware sell them, among other people.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Six Moon Design, Bear Paw, TarpTent, Gossamer Gear is rummored to be working on a new design

Well , the Rainbow,the Notch and the SS1 all take a person of Mik size , so no need for TT to have a new design for that.
    SMD has the Lunar Solo 2012 that would fit Mik
    Franco
    Tarptent Downunder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools