Topic

what’s the elastic chest strap for between the shoulder straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what’s the elastic chest strap for between the shoulder straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I have these on all my packs but don't notice much of a difference if any at all when I buckle it up. What's it there for in the first place? what's it's design purpose?

Many thanks.

Mik.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The sternum strap is there to keep the shoulder straps from sliding off your shoulders and help with pack stability.

I never use mine, as I find no difference when doing so. Might be a different story if my pack did not fit me as well.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

If your pack fits properly, the sternum strap won't make a lot of difference. I often forget to fasten mine, and it's one more strap to remember when taking the pack off. I often forget here, too–I undo the waist belt and then try to take the pack off without first undoing the sternum strap. If I'm scrambling or crawling over/under logs, though, I find that the sternum strap does add a little extra stability. For that reason I haven't cut them off my packs, although I've been tempted.

The whistles now being put on almost all sternum straps (didn't Gossamer Gear start that some years ago? ) are not very loud and are not something you'd want in an emergency situation if you want someone to hear them!

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Some people like them. It's the first thing I cut off a new pack.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It's purpose is to constrict your breathing so you're uncomfortable : )

No, that was a sarcastic response, the purpose is it's a fashion thing to make it look cool. Especially the first pack maker to come up with the idea

No, that was sarcastic too, the purpose is if the straps don't fit properly then the sternum strap will keep them from sliding sideways

No, that was sarcastic too, I've tried sternum straps a little but never noticed a difference, positive or negative. My philosophy is to try removing every feature and put it back only if it only makes a positive difference

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Awesome!!

Sarcasm….bring it!! Love it and as soon as I saw your smiley I knew it was a joke LOL.

This site really needs the smiley faces. They I think are a must in any/every public forum as it's sometimes the only way to accurately portray a meaning with the words people type!

Thank you.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have wide shoulders and find the strap a must. On long days, it permits me to adjust pressure points on my shoulders.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

There's always :)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I'm with David.

I'm glad he fessed up to liking them, it was gettin lonely.

I guess I have wide shoulders too? People say I have broad shoulders (but I say they're men's shoulders! Buh-dum ting) and my sternum strap sure lets me move the pressure points of the straps. …maybe its cause my back is weird and I have to adjust the straps on my packs every couple of hours.

And yes my packs fit fine… I've known how to fit a pack since my teen years, and I have multiple, quality packs.

Tons of people don't use them, at least two people use them. nobody is wrong

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Tons of people don't use them, at least two people use them. nobody is wrong"

And that is the thing to take away from this thread. Use them or no. You now know what they are there for.

David Ure

@familyguy

NM

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I'm with David and Barry. I even prefer them over a waist strap of webbing on light packs. I'll adjust mine throughout the day, depending on comfort and trail conditions. YMMV.

Oh, I have broad shoulders too, and few packs have the right contour to fit over my trapezii and shoulders.

Jeff LaVista
    BPL Member

@lavista

Important for me. I also have broad shoulders. I'll adjust the sternum strap and load lifters to change the way my pack carries over the course of the day to give various muscle groups a break.
    Alternating between thin & wide shoulder straps placement, and also switch between my hip belt and my shoulder straps for primary weight transfer.

This is with 30lb loads for weekenders, if I could be down at 20 or less the straps become less important.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I like mine, i am the opposite and have fairly skinny shoulders so i use it to keep my straps off my AC joints.

also i thread my camera case on there to keep it in an easy to reach spot.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Even though it looks stupid and can be irritating, I use my sternum strap. I'm petite and have yet to find any pack with shoulder straps that don't slip out to the outermost edges of my shoulders if the sternum strap is unfastened.

Ray Bailly

@tempestv

I'm skinny, and the sternum strap really helps with stability.

Harald Hope
    BPL Member

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

The straps don't restrict your breathing at all unless they weren't made right, ie, without an elastic expansion thingie. Since that's one of the easiest parts to make on a pack, it's odd to make a sternum strap that doesn't feature such a basic item. Or if they are tightened wrong. I like them, maybe my body build makes them more needed as others note here.

One thing I've learned in the process of building my own pack is that the only pack that is going to perfectly fit you is a custom made one, made for your exact dimensions. Each bend of the strap curve corresponds to a dimension on your body. If you have a standard body type that fits an average pack design, then you are lucky, if you don't, then you have to look all around, or figure it out, or buy something very expensive like a mchale, or maybe get a custom thing from zimmerbuilt.

I no longer consider mchales expensive, though they are way out of my price range. But not overpriced given the degree of work he puts into getting your fit right from what I gather.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I too use them. I agree with the statement above about them helping to alleviate pressure points. When doing long days I like to reposition the shoulder straps throughout the day and the sternum strap allows me to do so easily and keep them there. Especially so with my cuben packs since the cuben straps can slide easily on my shoulders.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I use them on my packs when over 10kg or so.
    It helps the pack to stay put and not wobble about.
    Any pack movement means wasted energy.
    But if you like to believe that it is a gimmick, go ahead, I won't get upset.
    Franco

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

> I have wide shoulders and find the strap a must…

This. The sternum strap is great for people with non-trivial pectorals and/or broad shoulders. It keeps the shoulder straps from slipping back into the crease at the deltoid and causing irritation.

If the sternum strap restricts your breathing then you are likely wearing it too low, near the diaphragm where it can mess with bellybreathing. Or you have it too tight. No need to cinch it tight, it's just there to keep the shoulder straps from migrating. You bird-chested guys don't have this problem.

"dissing the sternum strap" = yet another example of people ascribing their personal circumstances to everyone else.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

My packs ride better when I use the sternum strap. I like to hook my thumbs under them while hiking. That way my hands are elevated and keeps my hands from swelling so much.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"But if you like to believe that it is a gimmick, go ahead, I won't get upset."

I've only tried Sternum straps a little, with no benefit noticed.

This is one of those features people should try, and if you like it great,…

"The sternum strap is great for people with non-trivial pectorals and/or broad shoulders…You bird-chested guys don't have this problem.

"dissing the sternum strap" = yet another example of people ascribing their personal circumstances to everyone else."

Uh-oh – I must be a bird-chested guy.

Maybe it was Ray Jardined that I read that said Sternum Straps constrict breathing. Maybe he's bird chested too?

Some birds have large chests, like Turkeys.

Seriously, someone asks about Sternum straps, I think they got the full spectrum of opinons about this, backpackinglight is a good thing.

Kim Perley

@amanita

As a lady hiker, the sternum strap is a non negotiable crucial feature. Getting straps that fit is always a challenge, but without a sternum strap I'd be helpless.

I might add to the speculation that people with "odd sizes" benefit from sternum straps more. It adds one more area of adjustability if your pack's straps are not sitting comfortably without it.

The main issue I've had with sternum straps is ones that ride too low. What might be comfortable on a male just doesn't always work for me. On ones that adjust up/down mine is usually as high as it can go.

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

I use mine mainly to make little adjustments during the day to let the shoulder straps sit in slightly different positions. Never used to but found it suits me to now. I am neither broad or skinny (I think).
    The lighter the pack the less useful they are.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I use mine to help keep the shoulder straps positioned in the right place especially when I am wearing a slippery jacket / wind shirt like a Patagonia Houdini.

Mine is also adapted for dual use. I carry my cell phone and digital camera in a zippered chest pocket that rides on the sternum strap.

Sternum Strap Chest Pocket

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools