Topic

Hilleberg Tent thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hilleberg Tent thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 862 total)
  • Author
    Miles Spathelf
    BPL Member

@miless

Mind sharing some of the alterations you made to the Akto? Cheers

Mike Allen

@michaellea62

Locale: UTAH

Daniel, do you have your modifications posted our do you mind sharing them.
    Thanks

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

It's been a while since I did them so I'll try to remember. Don't think I have them posted. It basically consists of lots of small mods that each can save from 1-2 oz.

1. Akto has LOTS of metal zipper pulls. I cut them and replaced with small cord loops (lots of stock tents/items with zippers come this way stock anyways). This is actually an improvement as you don't get noise from the metal pulls in wind and they are easier to operate, especially with gloves.

2. Replaced all the heavy akto guylines and tensioners with a BPL guyline kit. It's an exact replacement except using thinner/lighter (and I believe stronger) cord and slightly smaller/lighter tensioners. No longer available from BPL but I think you can still get from other sources. Much better, as the akto guylines absorb lots of water when wet.

3. Replaced heavy stakes with titanium skewers.

4. Replaced the 4 metal rings at the 4 corners of the tent with cord loops.

5. Replaced stock stuffsack with cuben stuffsack.

6. Optional, but you can omit the pole stuffsack, just use a rubber band.

7. I ordered an Akto carbon fiber pole set from fibraplex (they have it pre-made, it's not custom) that includes the main arched pole plus the 4 corner poles. Most people don't know unless they look closely but the 4 corner struts are removable. They are fiberglass and quite heavy. I have to admit though that I have been reluctant to use the carbon fiber arched pole for fear of breakage. The 4 corner poles though are definately stronger (and lighter) than the stock Akto poles.

8. I think that's pretty much all I did. What's nice is the mods do not remove any functionality to the tent, ie it does not involve removing any items/features etc. If you use the stock pole you can save a little weight by not carrying the repair section.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I bought a modified Akto a while back. It wasn't in the condition advertised so I returned it, but I did check out the modifications. The four main changes were: carbon fibre pole from fibraplex; thinner (1.8mm or 2mm) guylines and corresponding smaller diameter guyline runners; cord in place of the metal zipper tabs; lighter pegs (6 out of 10 – 4 were originals, for the end guylines). The seller told me the total weight saving was 9oz, and his total outlay for the mods was under $100.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

That sounds about right. In retrospect I would not recommend the fibraplex arched pole. It saves 3 ounces. I would however recommend the 4 fibraplex corner poles, which I think saved about 1.5-2 oz.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Long-time Hilleberg user here – initially and for about 14 years a Staika for bike-touring. Bomb-proof palace that stood up to the tail-end of a Japanaese typhoon that squashed many tents on our site.

More recently the Unna – used for the last 6 years or so when the weather looks a little grim; has stood up to 70mph winds and I slept soundly. A little heavy but I play with the idea of a MYOG half inner from time-to-time (doubt I'll ever get around to it though!).

Ivo Vanmontfort
    BPL Member

@ivo

Only for the idea
    When the weather is good
    You can also make a tarp
    from a akto fly

Van akto in aktie
    Van akto in aktie
    Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Well, I just got my Nammatj 2. I haven't yet had a chance to use it camping, but I can at least give first impressions and some photos.

At $610, the Nammatj 2 is the least expensive tent in Hilleberg's "greatest strength" lineup (ie: heavier Kerlon 1800 fabric and 10mm poles). And at 6lbs, 6 oz, the Nammatj 2 is the lightest tent in this category.

The Nammatj 2 uses two 10mm poles of the same length, making the poles very user friendly. Only two to carry, and no having to guess as to length when you pull them out of the bag. When properly staked and guyed out, it is tight as a drum. Like all tunnel tents, the Nammatj 2 is completely dependent on staking for it's form. This is what keeps the weight down, while still allowing it to be roomy and use beefy materials. It is a trade off. Also adding to the light weight is the fact that the Nammatj 2 only has one vestibule and entrance. In spite of this, it still has excellent ventilation with large vents on both sides of the inner and outter tents.

This is my first tent that is not at least self-supporting, if not fully free standing. I'm guessing that to be confident of a good pitch on varied terrain, I'll have to take more than one type of stake. The Nammatj comes with a large amount of quality aluminum stakes that are a good compromise of strength, penetration ability, etc. But I also added a set of titanium nail style pegs and a set of snow/ sand stakes.

The snow stakes came in handy when I pitched the tent close to home today (in the following pictures). The ground where I live, on the central coast of CA, is very sandy. In fact they basically build the towns on sand dunes. I set up both the Nammatj 2 and the Tarra, and used a combination of snow/ sand stakes and the pegs that come standard.

The color of my new Nammatj 2 is "sand". After seeing some pictures of tents in this color online, I was initially worried it would be too transparent. In person my worries proved to be unfounded. I find it to be a very nice color, both inside and out of the tent. It definitely feels "roomier" in the vestibule with this color than in the green. As Hilleberg fans know, they have traditionally only offered their tents in green and red. The Sand color is available in specific models, however. As of last week, the US division of Hilleberg had sand colored tents in stock in the following models: Nammatj 2, Saitaris, Keron 3GT and 4GT, and Staika.

Anyways, on to the pictures. I believe you can enlarge the pictures by clicking on them. Both tents (I brought the Tarra for comparison) fit just fine in my McHale 40 LBP backpack:
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The Nammatj 2 set up:

With all vents open. Note that all vents, on both the inner tent and outter tent, have the option of a mesh bug net only, fabric only, or both:

The Tarra and Nammatj 2 together. The Tarra looks smaller in the picture due to the distance from the camera. This is misleading, as the Tarra is a slightly larger tent.

The Tarra all opened up. The Tarra has excellent ventilation, with full doors and vestibules on both ends, as well as a roof vent:

Showing the size of the interior of the Nammatj 2. For refference, I am 5'10" tall. I found the Tarra to have slightly more interior room, but again it is a heavier tent. Contrary to what I'd read online, at my height I would be able to sleep with my feet at either the opening or the "foot" of the Nammatj 2 without worry of my head or feet brushing the inner tent walls. Anyone a couple inches taller than me or more would not have this option, and would need to sleep with their head near the door.

And the Tarra interior, for size comparison:

In summary, I'm very happy with my new Nammatj 2. I love the color, weight, pack size, and design. I have a family of four, plus two dogs, who go camping. With these 2 two person tents, all of us will be able to camp in comfort. Both tents are easily big enough for two adults and a dog. If asked which tent I liked better, it would be a tough question. They will both be better in different areas. for backpacking, I see the Nammatj having a distinct advantage. For motorcycle touring I immagine the Tarra will be my first pick.

Edited to correct the stats on the Soulo. Thanks to Stuart for pointing them out.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice job on the photos Doug. Always helpful. The sand color looks great.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Very nice write-up of the Nammatj and comparison with the Tarra, two models that don't get as much press as others in Hilleberg's line-up. Sand is an interesting colour choice, and I'm sure it won't appeal to every Hilleberg buyer, but I'm glad you like it.

One point of correction – the Soulo is not part of the Kerlon 1800 line. It, like all of the single person Hillebergs, uses the lighter Kerlon 1200. However, given its three pole setup, it is considered the strongest of the solo tents.

Where the Nammatj beats the Nallo is in the dual vents – which as you stated have no-see-um mesh as well as waterproof breathable fabric – and the equal sized poles which give more usable height and width throughout.

I currently own a Soulo, a Staika, and a Kaitum 3. Of the three, the Soulo has seen most use, followed by the Kaitum. I am on the fence about the Staika, and having seen an Allak this week I wonder whether I should have gone with the lighter variant.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Thanks for the kind words Ken and Stuart. I'll update the review once I've had a chance to do some camping/ backpacking with it. I'll be taking the Nammatj on my July trip to 1000 Islands Lake. I'm hoping to get some backpacking in before then as a shakedown cruise.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

I gave the Nammatj serious consideration before buying the Kaitum. In the standard configuration, its smaller footprint makes for easier site selection, and in the GT vestibule variant you have a bug-free covered area adjacent to, but separate from where you sleep. Ultimately, however, the additional weight of the Nammatj GT was more than I wanted to carry, and I preferred the two vestibule setup of the Kaitum which, much like the Tarra, has outstanding ventilation for year-round use.

I think you're smart in going for one tunnel and one dome, that way you have equipment that can handle all eventualities. That's why I bought the Staika after getting the Kaitum. But I do find that the 1.5lb weight difference between the two means I'm more likely to go with the Kaitum unless I expect to find conditions not conducive to its 14' length and/or its non-freestanding design. I can see exactly why the Staika would be a hit for motorbike touring, backcountry skiing with a pulk, or kayak /canoe touring. It's a terrific design, lots of interior space for two, massive dual vestibules making for excellent cross-ventilation, sheltered cooking, and giving each occupant their own entrance. I'd rather not schlepp 8lb 8oz of shelter in my backpack up hill and down valley. The Allak is more than 1.5lbs lighter than the Staika, but it has a different vestibule layout that may not be as protected from the elements, plus it's narrower overall.

I'd be curious how much the external colour impacts the internal temperature – and specifically whether sand reflects more heat than the darker green and red. I felt that the red Nallo GT that I owned briefly was warmer in sunshine than my green Kaitum, but my visual senses may have come into play, or the differences in vent configuration.

Edited to clarify comments about the Staika.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Awesome review, Ken! I wasn't aware that Hilleberg did a simple dome tent until I read your post. Have to say, I love the look of the Unna. I love that large side opening door on the fly, it's reminiscent of the Ahwahnee. If only they did a 2-person, 2-door version (like the Ahwahnee I guess, but with an inner.

One question, Ken, how much have you used the Unna fly-only? How was condensation? Seems like it could work pretty well as a single-skin since it looks like it has quite good ventilation options.

Edit: By the way, do you happen to know the weight of the fly + poles only?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Here is what I have Jeremy. Upcoming trip to the Lost Coast will be my first fly only trip. Will report after.

Fly 824g
    Vent cover 64g
    Inner 642g
    12 stakes in sack 154g
    Poles only 420g
    2 poles,repair sleeve,extra pole section in stuffsack 502g
    I missed weighing the footprint alone somehow
    Anyway the minimum set up fly,poles,floor,stakes in sack and stuffsack weighs 63.5oz or 1800g
    Bare minimum 1308g for fly, vent cover and poles. or 46 oz. It is a huge amount of space.
    Some of the weights were supplied by Hilleberg. I have found their weights to be accurate.

The poles are heavy. But no real fluff in the design. Everything is there that is needed, nothing that is not.

The new Rogan is a two door, two vestibule version. 3 season only though.

I really like how easy it is to pitch. Could do it blindfolded. No color coded poles or sleeves.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

nm

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Stephen. In my photos posted above the wind was coming at the side of the tent at over 40mph. Only a slight amount of deflection. Pretty solid.

Good tents.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

nm

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I don't make much noise sewing either;)

Hoping we get to wear out our tents out from use.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Was out of it on pain meds with my orthodontics last night Ken and the spell and grammer check on my phone is rubbish.

Yep, definitely hope we get to wear out our tents from use, I have 3 cool trips planned for the next 2 months :-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I would love to see Hilleberg offer a larger version of the Atko. As long as the Unna and maybe 3 inches taller. If they went with a lighter strut material there would be almost/no weight gain. In that sand color could be great

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well with the weather forecast before the Lost Coast trip I packed the inner. Proved a good choice as it was pretty wet overnight both nights. Fly only some other time.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

I thought I'd update this thread with pictures of my new Saitaris. At 14lbs, it is probably pushing the ultra-light limit. (Hahahaha). But it will be our family backpacking tent, for 4 people and two medium/ large dogs. Between the four of us, the weight will not be horrible, not to mention there is nowhere on planet Earth we couldn't camp with this tent. :)

On to the pictures:

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That's one bad ass looking tent Doug, I purchased a used Kiatum 3 last autumn and used it for the first time last Saturday with 2 buddies, it really is a cracking tent and the weight split between 3 is not a big deal at all.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Thanks Stephen! And do you happen to have any pictures from your trip? I'd love to see an interior shot of a 3 person set up for 3 men. I know the Hillebergs don't skimp on size, but I'm wondering how roomy it is when you use them to their suggested rating.

My family consists of my wife and I, and two daughters, 12 and 14. None of us are large, so I'm sure the 4 of us will fit in the Saitaris just fine.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Doug,

I didn't get any pics as it was -13f and it was too cold to take off my gloves.

The inner was fine for 3 for 1 night but for anything longer it would be a place for 2.

Cheers,

Stephen

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 862 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools