Topic

Hydropel = Body Glide?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hydropel = Body Glide?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

In his book, "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips," Mike Clelland likes Hydropel as a foot blister preventative. I drove around Bend, Ore., this morning in search of Hydropel but was met with blank stares everywhere (and we have an REI). So I bought this sampler size of Body Glide from a running store.*

Is this stuff equivalent to Hydropel?

================

* I don't mean that the store was literally running, but that it catered to people who find running to be an important part of their lives.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

I don't think so. I usually get my Hydropel from Amazon. I don't know of a brick-and-mortar store where you can buy it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hydropel=waterproofing

Body Glide=anti-chafing

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I use Body Glide on my feet to prevent blisters. Seems to work! It also helps with the wet feet issue.

Another possibility, advocated by Andrew Skurka, is "Bonnie's Balm Climber's Salve."
    http://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimizing-the-effects-and-aftermath-of-wet-feet/

I don't know why old fashioned Bag Balm (available at any livestock store) wouldn't work, too. For generations dairy farmers have used it on the parts of the cow chafed by milking, and many farmers' wives swear by it as a hand cream.

All of these products have a waxy base to repel water and contain moisturizers which condition the skin to prevent cracking as the feet dry.

I have not tried Hydropel, so if anyone can explain how it differs from these other products, please do!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Body Glide, no, but Body Glide Liquified Powder, kinda sorta yes. They're not the exact same thing, but the BG liquified powder is supposed to provide a barrier against friction and moisture. It's also much cheaper than Hydropel, and available locally. I use mine in summer to help prevent chafing, but haven't used it on my feet (never have any problems with my feet, even when wet). FWIW.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"Another possibility, advocated by Andrew Skurka, is "Bonnie's Balm Climber's Salve."

I have used Bonnie's Balm extensively over the last couple months. It is excellent for healing chaffing – best stuff I have used so far. Not so great at preventing blisters.

Ryan

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

similar, but not the same, I use both- Hydroglide for when I know it's going be soggy, the stuff really works- my wife and I used it for the first a couple of summers ago where we made no less than 100 stream crossings in two days (it would have been five days if you stopped and changed/took off shoes! :) )- not a single blister, hot spot, nothing and our feet were wet for the better part of two days- we did dry our feet out thoroughly in the evening and donned dry socks, in the morning a light application of hydropel and on w/ the damp socks/shoes, repeat

body glide I don't use backpacking, but I do trail running- as mentioned above it's an anti-chafe so it's gets put anywhere there is even a slim chance of chafing, knock on wood the stuff has always done the trick- mostly recently on a 33 mile run in the Grand Canyon

David Vo

@sygyzy

Here's what Brian Green had to say about the two:

http://www.briangreen.net/2012/03/hydropel-vs-bodyglide-lp-results.html

In short – Body Glide is half the cost and works just as well.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Brian used the two in dry conditions and his result might be true for that. Many use hydropel when wet creek crossings will be the norm. He did not test that.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

soggy feet is where hydropel shines imo, avoiding maceration is the goal

it's very possible that hydropel works as effectively for anti-chafing, but body glide is cheaper and does work well in that realm- so I reserve the hydropel for wet conditions

Photobucket

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

A little off topic: like the OP, I've heard of Hydropel, but never tried it–mainly because I've never really had problems with blisters. But I have noticed discomfort when my feet get real prune-y from stream crossings–a sort of burning pain along along the wrinkles. Would Hydropel prevent that? (Or Body Glide, for that matter?)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I just went searching for the ingredients, but drew a blank at Body Glide–its active ingredient is Allantoin (0.5%), but I couldn't find the other ingredients, except that it contains no petrolatum, lanolin or other oils and is water resistant. I don't have an original container around right now and won't be shopping until next week (ingredients are supposed to be listed on the label).

Hydropel: 30% Dimethicone; inactive ingredients are petrolatum, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate (I hope I copied that correctly!). Any chemists in the house?

I might try Hydropel to see if it works any better, although I've been quite happy with Body Glide. I've never been very happy with petrolatum-based items on my skin, though.

Bonnie's Balm Climber's Salve: "The herbs & unrefined oils we infused together are known to be antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobic & antiviral. It is 100% natural, loaded of Vitamin A, B, C, D, E, Zinc, Lethicin & Foliate Acid." (Edited later: Andrew Skurka says this stuff can double as lip balm, but it sounds as though it would act as a vitamin supplement, too! LOL!)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that's the exact scenario when I use Hydropel- multiple stream crossings, sustained rain or wet snow

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Thanks, Mike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools