Topic

Old Trad Backpacker Achieves Sub-10 lb Base Weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Old Trad Backpacker Achieves Sub-10 lb Base Weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

I have taken the ideas and advice given here and in Mike Clelland's book, "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips," and with the help of Geargrams.com, have achieved my first ever sub-10 lb base weight (9.5 lbs, to be exact)!

Even though I'm packed for very mild, if not hot, weather with no chance of rain (no tarp), I still managed some creature comforts: a large Neoair mattress, a Monarch chair (576 grams), and a book of poetry.

Add in 1.2 lbs of food, 7 fluid ounces of The Glenlivet, and 2-1/4 lbs of evening/sleeping clothes and I'm still traveling lighter than I ever have in the past.

I'm pretty pleased.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Congrats, Jack!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Congratulations! You're now ahead of me (I'm 10.7 lbs. without camera and fishing gear, 12.0 with camera and fishing gear). Mine does include a full tent big enough for both my dog and me.

Now get out there and have fun with it! Beautiful (if warm) weekend coming up!

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

My son and I are doing an overnighter tomorrow to Alder Springs, Oregon. Easy in, easy out. This is going to be my first ever test of the "want v. need" philosophy of building a gear list.

As a trad backpacker, the list always included a massive number of "just in case" items. I've never needed one of those "just in case" items, and always got tired of carrying that kitchen sink.

Besides, there is no preparing for all eventualities. Think asteroid strike.

So, yeah, this dinky pack load will be cool.

I am bringing a little notepad and pencil, and will make a page with a column called "better bring next time," and one titled, "why did I bring this"?

Now if I was some kind of mega-brain with something better than a Magic 8-Ball for prognostication, that page would come home blank.

I am cheating a bit: having cut my teeth backpacking in the dry areas in SoCal, I have a good sense of what one needs in dry and hot conditions, and that's what's predicted for this weekend for where we are going. And, amazingly (to a SoCal backpacker) there is this creek with plenty of fresh water in it right at hand.

But out of my comfort zone is the crazy and difficult to predict conditions on the eastern slopes of the Oregon Cascade Mountains that will test me later in season when they open up. So add to list: tarp.

Jeepers, come think of it, that's about all. Oh, and stakes for the tarp. Maybe a windbreaker.

I'm a three-season camper. I'd be tempted to camp in winter if (a) I could cross-country ski, but this metal knee says "no," and (b) if I had another warm body, such as a big Labrador Retriever to go with, but Mrs Elliott says "no."

Andrew McAlister
    Spectator

@mcalista

Double up on the Glenlivet, and you could care less if you left the rest of your gear at home.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Andrew, there is much wisdom in what you say.

JH
    BPL Member

@ic32987

Scotch. What an awesome gear addition!

Congrats!

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

7.5 fluid ounces of Scotch has enough GoAPPPN (Grams of Alcohol Per Person Per Night) to be sufficient, but I did take pity on my son who forgot to bring his own booze so I shared a generous with him. Next trip the boy has to bring his own.

I want to report back that I enjoyed this hike a lot, and found the lighter pack weight to be wonderful. In fact, for the return trip I experimentally left the hip belt unfastened and the pack felt just fine.

But while in camp I decided that next go-round I needed to add light fleece glovies and a nail clippers. My fingernails frequently shatter when in the dry outdoors, leaving behind nasty snarly shards and edges. Central Oregon's High Desert area is quite dry this time of the year.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

>"Central Oregon High Desert"
    Mind if I ask where? (Future trip planning).

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Jack glad your trip worked out well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools