Topic

My day-job and backpacking finally intersect

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion My day-job and backpacking finally intersect

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Hello everyone,

To fund my ultra-light backpacking obsession I freelance as a commercial director. Usually, the two are mutually exclusive, but recently I had the pleasure of directing three short documentary videos for L.L. Bean. Not exactly ultralight related, but the underlying passion for nature is there.

We shot in and around Sequoia NP and the Smoky Mountains. You can check all three out on my personal site here: http://bradabrahams.net/19437/528983/projects/ll-bean-discover-something

Hopefully some of you will find interest in this

Thanks for watching,
    Brad

p.s. not sure this is the right sub-forum, please feel free to move it.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Those are nice shots. Kind of makes you want to get out there.

That must be a magic pack for Steve to fit a tent in.

Also, I loved that long shot at the start of the video. The trail seemed to have grass on it with these huge boulders underneath.

Thanks for sharing.

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Thanks for the comments Scott. That shot with the tent was not honest in that he would not have taken that tent wth that pack and vice-versa. It was a marketing request from Bean.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Brad,

Well done! Your camera angles, lighting, and editing are spot on. Enjoyed the tactile shots of hands touching rocks and bark. It is no easy task trying to capture the reasons why we explore wild places. Your mini videos do more than promote LL. Bean they tell a story with a style similar to Ken Burns documentaries.. My co-workers only talk of cruises, tropical beaches, and grand hotels. When I share my wilderness adventures they only view it as hard work and dirty. I hope you continue to develop your talent. Keep sharing.

Bill

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

These are great! The colour seems to have a 70's tint going on? I really like the Shark Week stuff too. I'm obsessed with sharks.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Thanks for sharing!

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Thank you for the kind words everyone. It means a lot coming from this crew.

Nick, i tend to like a certain color palate, and i guess it is a bit nostalgic. There are also a few super8 mm shots in each which further gives it that old film feel.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing with us.

I am a big fan of hiking and backpacking documentaries. Visually they are low budget. While I know these are commercials, the actual content is more than a simple ad.

For purely selfish purposes I'd encourage you to make more high quality work on hiking and share them with us!

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Michael I'd love to do more like these, especially for one of the ultra-light cottage co's. Even though the budgets for these are relatively small for a commercial, they may still be too much for a very small company.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools