Topic

Philmont commissay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Philmont commissay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

Well it looks like Philmont finally got the message that they were issuing to much food at a time. They have opened at least one new commissary this year at minor's park. They are trying to limit food pickups to 3 days on most treks. This will help with bulk and food weight. I have not looked into what they have done in the north country, as we are going to mainly south and central. dave

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

I noticed that we resupply 3 times on the trail this trek. Hopefully they increase the number of treks that have that option. It really does help.

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

We are heading North Philmont and Valle Vidal and load food on Day 2 at HQ, Day 6 at Baldy Town and Day 8 at Rich Cabins then out on Day 12.Philmont 2012 Trek 20 Crew 716-Q1

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Number of food pickups AFTER leaving HQ, 2012 treks

treks with 2 pickups:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 27, 31

treks with 3 pickups:
    7, 8, 12, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 34, 35

treks with 4 pickups:
    28, 33

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I dont think that 1 extra days food each leg between resupply is really the problem. When the average pack weighs 45 lbs+ hitting the trail, the problem is most people are carrying too much gear, too much clothing, too many gadgets, and poor gear choices, not just 2 lbs extra food.

I agree that every little bit helps, but it would be better to see more emphasis on lighter packs and lighter gear, minimalization, emphasis on re-packaging the philmont food, better food choices (low volume) than carrying less food, which is basically…a crutch.

I.e. teach people HOW to backpack, not just give them an even more watered down version of it. What are you teaching them? That with a huge pack, the most you can go out for is 3 days? Nonsense. With the pack size that most carry they ought to be able to go 3 weeks without resupply.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools