Topic

Do you like use lid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Do you like use lid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JIAPING HU

@jiaping

Hi . I am a chinese climber .I am living Canada and work in climbing gym now . My English is not good. Sorry everyone.
    I often use my cilogear 45L worksack for mountaineering in China. It is great. I just use pad and change strap set . Take off some D lock in pack so as to more light . For me .I dont want use lid . But I worry SilNylon is not strong . Will be easy break. Please give me some advice . It is enough? Or I need make new light lid. New one for helmet? Thank you! xiexie!

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i go lidless with my cilogear packs all the time. if i don't need the volume or the segregated storage space why schlep the extra weight.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

His English is not good so we should use more clear phrasing when responding.

"i go lidless (without a lid) with my cilogear packs all the time. if i don't need the volume or the segregated storage space why schlep (carry) the extra weight."

Translation in ( )

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

"Shlepp" is a Yiddish word. While a guy from China might struggle mightily with the English language, toss in a Yiddishism or two and the poor fellow is going to sink without a bubble.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

you underestimate and do our friend from china a disservice. you need to get with the times and http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/magazine/16wwln-safire-t.html?_r=1 and realize that *schlep* like many other words in english may have foreign origin, but is now part of the language. it wouldn't surprise me if schlep was part of the chinese language. and if you really wanted to be helpful you could have found the translation of *to schlep* in chinese http://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-chinese/schlep 挟带(insert wink here).

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

There was a funny show on PBS, about words and American language. In the opening sequence they started in NY and asked people what "schlep" meant. Everyone got it, transport, haul, etc. They headed south and it faded until they got nothing but "I don't knows." Then, as they got to TX it started to find meaning again … or at least everyone told the same joke … "I don't know her name, but I schlep with her last night!"

(schlep has a a literary depth, and passes my spell check, but English is a wide and flexible thing.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools