Topic

iHike by Lawton “Disco” Grinter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web iHike by Lawton “Disco” Grinter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

My buddy Disco came out with a new book about his 10000 miles of hiking.

If you don't know Disco (he is the director/producer of The Walkumentary) he is an excellent story teller with a humorous side.

“I never set out to hike 10,000 miles. It just sort of happened over the course of a decade.” And so goes Lawton Grinter’s compelling collection of short stories that have been over ten years and 10,000 trail miles in the making. I Hike brings the reader trailside with blissful moments on the highest mountain ridges to the mental lows of mosquito hell and into some peculiar situations that even seasoned hikers may find unbelievable.

Check it out: http://ihikethebook.com/

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

p>Lawton "Disco" Grinter, best known in thru-hiking circles for producing  The Walkumentary,  has written about his ten-thousand miles of hiking. Rather than a traditional thru-hike narrative about a journey, it is a collection of short vignettes from his many years and miles spent on the long trails.

Many books about the thru-hiking experience follow a similar arc:  The author  gives a brief synopsis of the trail. Tells why they want to go on a long hike. Details the preparation entailed. The journey starts.  Crisis are overcome. An odd cast of characters are met along the way.  The author triumphantly reaches Katahdin or Manning Park five or six months later.</span></span>

">Within this formula, many fine books have been written (but along with some not-so-fine ones) but it is now a familiar formula used by many, many, many, MANY books.</span></span>

<><">I Hike is unique for books about the thru-hiking experience. Rather than a narrative of a single hike, I Hike is more reminiscent of an Eiger Dreams  for the backpacking set.    A collection of colorful stories from many miles of backpacking.</span></span>

<><">And Disco does tell a colorful tale. Be it  a welcome haven from the cold weather somewhere in Washington state or what one enterprising German named Speedo does in the middle of Wyoming's Great Divide Basin, these are all stories that will bring a smile, a laugh or introspection after each read.</span></span>

<><">The book also appeals to those who are not long distance backpackers.   My fiancee' loves the outdoors but has no desire to spend five months eating Ramen noodles. Our copy has mysteriously found a new home on her nightstand. It is a book she loves to pick up and read in between her studies, working and cleaning up the mess I make in our kitchen.  :)  As Adrianna said,  "The stories are funny and wonderfully told". </span></span>

<font-size:14px"><"><">I HIKE by  Lawton "Disco" Grinter is a collection of tales  that anyone who has an interest in backpacking or long journeys will enjoy. Tales  from the funny, to the heartfelt to the joyous, it is campfire story telling at is best.  Grab a cold drink from the cooler, pull up a log and listen to Disco tell tales of his walking through the backcountry of America.</span></span></span>

Want to purchase a copy? Check out Disco's website: http://ihikethebook.com/

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I don't really do book reviews, and I was skeptical at first since the writer in much younger than I and it's not an inexpensive book. It's a quick read, read it in one afternoon/evening. But in that short time span I laughed until I could hardly breathe and at other times had tears running down my face. The author writes well and the stories are obviously from the heart. IMO it's a very worthy read! Thanks for the heads up Paul.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Just a shout out for Lawton "Disco" Grinter's book: iHike. I don't think this book got enough attention and support in these forums when it was first published. I've been meaning to write a review and will do when I get a chance, but let me say now this is a good read with valuable (as in potentially life saving) info and insights for the experienced thru hiker or someone who wants to try a long trail or who does shorter trips, and it's very humorous and entertaining too.

I like this book because it's not the typical "my journey" sort of trail tale; rather it's a collection of short stories based on Disco's more than ten thousand miles of hiking. My only complaint is that it's a quick read, but that's actually a comment of praise.

If you are looking for a gift suggestion for yourself or a friend who enjoys hiking, then I'd recommend that you consider this book. Details on where to purchase above. Gossamer Gear has it too, under the "Etc." tab.

I like iHike.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

+1 on everything Michael said. It's a very good book, I just wish it would have been longer. Maybe there will be an iHike 2.0

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

BUMP

His book is now avail in Kindle format! Get a virtual stocking stuffer. :) Great read IMO. As mentioned, my wife is NOT a long distance hiker and she loved the book.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Cheers Paul,

Just bought it.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Not available at the library yet- I hate waiting for stuff like this to make it into circulation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools