Topic

Trick to sleep confortably on a thin CCF sleeping pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Trick to sleep confortably on a thin CCF sleeping pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

Assuming you are a side sleeper:

Sleeping on a 7mm (1/4") CCF sleeping pad may not be the top of the confort, but I've found this simple trick to sleep over it with confort similar to sleeping on a 2-3cm (1") pad:

While side-sleeping, I KEEP AN INFLATABLE PILLOW UNDER MY CHEST (longitudinally): it helps the spine to stay straight and uniformly discharges an important part of body weight over the pillow, so the weight graving over my hip and my shoulder is greatly reduced!

An inflatable pillow has little weight (30-60 gr – 1-2 Oz) and can greatly increase sleeping confort, only be sure to find the right inflating level for you: it is often a lot lower than you would think at first glance (for me, it is 1/3 of max capacity).

You obviously need some other thing for using as a pillow to support the head

I'd like someone else to try it and give me her impression.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

That sounds interesting… thanks! One of my hiking buddies dug a "hip hole", basically a depression in the ground for sleeping on his side. He said it helped a lot.

YouTube video

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I can see how that would help. What kind of pillow are you using?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I do the same using my foam float coat instead of an inflatable pad and I find that it does help.

I also raise my feet by placing them on top of my boots (which are inside grocery bags because they are dirty).

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

@Justin Baker: the concept is similar… but IMHO the pillow if A LOT more confortable… try it!

@Ben
    Crocker: the pillow I use is something like this: http://pillowsreviews.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/inflatable-pillow-01.jpg
    …but a lot less inflated

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

There does come a time in life that none of these options work! Throughout the years, my sleeping pads kept getting thinner and thinner until my hip bones rebelled and I spent the nights in pain. At least that's what it felt like–of course it was me, not the pad! Here's the progression:

Childhood and teen years–no pad at all

20's and 30's–cheap blue foam pad

40's and 50's–one of the original Thermarests

60's–2" thick, heavy Thermarest LE

70's–started with a POE Insulmat Max Thermo (2.5"), now have a 3.5" thick insulated air pad from the late lamented Kooka Bay. The last is actually the lightest pad I've had since the blue foam days, only 13 oz.

Dave Triano
    BPL Member

@dtriano

Locale: Desolation Wilderness

Thank you Mary!
    I'm 46 and I have 'jumped' your age/comfort ratio a bit, I have proudly arrived at the use of my Kooka Bay downmat last year. As with many, I swung to ridiculous minimal weight and then swung back to 'acceptable low, low weight' for superior comfort. It's darn well worth it to me to get a great nights sleep, I can play 'Lucan the Wolf Boy' with my cook set…….;) (obscure 70's reference there…..,)
    On this theme I am building a roomy cuben tunnel tent to further identify with Roger(shhhhh, top secret)….. Thank you both for your wisdom, it's hard to come by in today's world.

DT

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I find that if I sleep on my back, legs flat, my lower back starts to hurt. This is on any pad, even my bed at home.

So I've tried putting an inflatable pillow under my lower back. No more discomfort. I've been using the inflatable pillow from Jacks R Better, http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Pillow.htm (only $1.75 right now) I inflate it ever so slightly.

I'm hoping this may allow me to use a closed cell foam pad, instead of an air pad. More testing to do!

Steve

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The old fashioned boy scout way was to scoop out a hollow under your hips and shoulders. This works well with a light foam pad until you get a little older.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Paiolo, do you mean that you simply hug a pillow against your chest? I'm trying to imagine putting a pillow "under" my chest while sleeping on my side and i cant see how you would do that. I sleep on foam most of my short trips, so tips are a good thing.

Putting a pillow under the lower back i get. Maybe i should start carrying a second pillow for tricks like this.

Also, dig a small depression for the hips, works well for me. However the most important part for me is the head pillow, if my head is not elevated enough i get neck pain, shoulder pain and cant sleep. So I usually put either my shoes or a flat rock under pillow to elevate enough.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Get off the trail and camp on rough ground. Every bump finds a hollow. Besides, you'll be too tired to care. ;-)

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

I'm happy to see all that nice comments here!

@geokite
    : thank for the link to that cheap and light inflatable pillow

@Lopez
    : as I'm sleeping on my side, the pillow goes under the side of the chest, just to keep it a little (VERY little) elevated over shoulder and hips: instead of digging a hole under hips and shoulder, I'm elevating the chest: the concept is the same

Obviously head require a bigger support: I usually use my shoes or another (more inflated) pillow for it

(PS: I'm new of this forum…is there a way to get notificated by email when there is a new post on this thread?)

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools