Topic

Big Sky International – Evolution 2P Tent (Why and How I Got One)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Sky International – Evolution 2P Tent (Why and How I Got One)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 101 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Kevin J

@kevinj

Ahhh. Ok, that should have been obvious to me.

Thx

Chris Scala

@scalawag

I actually haven't officially weighed my set-up yet, or posted about the weight, so I'm not sure where you guys thought I did…

I will though! I just keep forgetting. Will do when I get home later.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Chris — Kevin mistook you for earlier poster (Berg) in this thread when he cited you as the source for weights of components for the Evolution 2P.

Looking forward to seeing the weights you get with your new tent.

Here are weights for my Evolution 2P (the fly has a clear plastic window)–

Tent body — 19.46 oz
    Tent fly — 17.89 oz
    Easton 7075 poles (2x) — 13.29 oz
    Pole repair sleeve (5") — 0.29 oz
    Ti skewer stakes (6x) — 1.50 oz
    Easton tube stakes (6x) — 2.16 oz
    BS guy lines/tensioners — 1.16 oz
    BS tent stuff sack — 1.54 oz
    BS stake stuff sack — 0.21 oz

Total weight — 55.96 oz (3.50 lbs)

Footprint (6.75 oz) and grommet kit (0.47) for the footprint increases the total to 63.18 oz (3.95 lbs).

Richard Mills

@estevesgmail-com

Joining the party a little late here, but I read this whole thread (and a number of other ones) before making the decision to take the plunge and order an evolution 2p from Big Sky and since it seems like a pretty divisive subject (!!) I felt honor bound to post feeback from my own experience.

I read all of the negative feedback about Big Sky on this forum so I was fully expecting to have a difficult customer service experience and be in for a long wait for my tent, but I had the opposite experience.

Before buying the tent I sent Bob a number of emails with questions and requests for advice on which options to choose with the tent (I went for no window, silnylon, DAC poles, porch fly and two inners, both mesh and fabric in case you're interested). I'll readily admit my emails were probably a bit annoying by the end but Bob replied to all of them within 24 hours.

When putting the order in I asked Bob for an estimated delivery time and he said it would be no more than three weeks, which I found reasonable considering I'm ordering from the UK and was not ordering an "off the peg" option which he had ready and in stock (Bob offered me this if I was in a hurry). I also discovered that Big Sky do not debit your card until the product is shipped, which judging by some of the posts ive read on this forum may not always have been the case (?).

Anyway, order was made on the 12th and tent arrived yesterday. Bearing in mind that includes overseas shipping and the item was held by customs for 4 or 5 days I think that's pretty good going.

The tent looks great, as soon as it stops raining I'll put it up and give you an update. Only complaint? Customs charged me £137 which I hand't factored into the price, so if you order from the UK, beware!

Anyway, look like things at Big Sky have changed. So if you want to buy one of these tents don't necessarily be scared off by the horror stories on this forum.

Cheers,

Rich

Ps: Yes, this is my first post on this forum but no I am not in any way affiliated with Big Sky,

Viewing 4 posts - 101 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools