Topic

Absaroka Beartooth & Wind River Range Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Absaroka Beartooth & Wind River Range Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

I'm in Bozman, MO for a wedding July 21-22 and plan on two weeks of backpacking/visiting friends in the area afterward. It looks like btw visiting friends in Jackson Hole and a tourist stop in Yellowstone I'll have two distinct windows for backpacking. 5 days w/my wife and then 8 days solo.
    I'm looking for knowledge of epic spots, good bivy sites w/the crazy view, off trail gems, and general not to be missed things. We are confident off trail and comfortable to class 3 scramble but no ice axe/crampon stuff. Geared to aprx 20 degrees at night and rain/light snow if forced. Wildlife viewing a plus we do bring binoculars. Maybe there is a better spot for my wife and I as I'm fairly committed to the Winds (life list). We have explored the Tetons, crest trail, already. I'd be stoked if anyone can share their knowledge of the area or point me towards the appropriate guidebooks, etc. Thank you!

Plan as of now calls for Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness Lake Plateau area (7/23-27) W/wife and then solo in the WRR (7/29-8/6).

WRR planning material:
    Pallister's "Beyond Trails" guidebook.
    Beartooth overview map (1:100,000) of the Winds .
    Awesome BPL trip report thx Andrew! http://bit.ly/et39i7

Absaroka Beartooth planning material:
    Beartooth overview map (1:100,000) Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness.
    BPL trip report thx Mike! http://bit.ly/KMSrCk

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Dude, I have absolutely nothing helpful to say except….have a thoroughly amazing time. WRR has been haunting me for years, would love to go there some day. 8 days solo in the Winds, I'm stoked for you, enjoy every slow savory minute of it. You and Raycene both.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Nancy's guidebook should answer most of your questions. Your main problem will be choosing among all the possibilities! You can, of course, combine bits and pieces of trips in a similar location. Have fun!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools