Topic

Being spammed via BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Being spammed via BPL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

I've heard from at least two folks about getting a number of spam emails from a Chinese company claiming to know them from backpackinglight.com.

First off, please let me remind you that we never ever EVER sell, rent, or distribute your personal information. EVER. We hate that kind of thing too. I'm pretty sure one of the first circles of hell is reserved for spammers and businesses who knowingly throw their customers under the bus for spammers.

Second, we haven't been hacked or had any breach of security, so far as I can tell.

Third, if you search (in Google) for [gmail dot com backpackinglight], you can glean many personal email addresses that were posted in forums by the user themselves, spelled out fully in order to deter web crawlers/spiders. It appears that trick no longer works, as it's been foiled by Google itself. The only way to remedy this is for you to find the post in which you included your email address (however you may have coded it) and excise it. There's no easy way for me to help you, even, for which I'm sorry.

That's all. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I'll do my very best to address them!
    Warmly,
    Addie

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools