Topic

Looking for tent recommendations: 1 person plus 55 lb dog

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for tent recommendations: 1 person plus 55 lb dog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Harris Goldstein

@hmgolds

Locale: Minnesota

Looking for a 3-season solo tent that has a large enough vestibule for my dog. She's 55lbs and about 18"x26" curled up. Would prefer a side entry but many don't seem to have enough usable space in vestibule for her.

Hard to base a decision just on SF of vestibule as shape impacts usable size. Think of being able to hold an 18x26x8 box or a very large pack laying down.

The BA Fly Creek doesn't seem to have a large enough vestibule. The MSR Hubba might work, a bit heavy. The SD VL1 might work, but seems heavy for it's price. The Marmot Eos also might work if I can get over the "hey, look at me" color. Finally, the REI Quarter Dome T1 is a possibility.

Any comments on the above? Any other suggestions?

BTW, my trusty 20 year old NF Tadpole 2p will work. But at 4lb 6oz packed weight (on my scale) I'd like to go lighter. But if I can't get under 3-6 or so, I might as well stick with the NF.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Your dog might be happier inside the tent, protected from bugs and snuggled against you for warmth. (I consider my dog part of my sleep system!) That's especially true if your dog is crate-trained. My dog considers my tent as _his_ personal crate (note the pronoun!). He sleeps happily through the night with little disturbance, which is definitely not the case when we're under a tarp (I tried the latter and he was awake and restless half the night!). Of course your dog may vary!

I keep my dog's claws trimmed short and have had no problems with silnylon or cuben tent floors. I do move my WM sleeping bag and insulated air pad out of his way when taking him in and out of the tent! He sleeps either at my side or at my feet, so I can get in and out of the tent during the night without tripping over him. If he were in the vestibule, I'd be falling over him every time!

I also comb my perpetually-shedding dog at bedtime every night. It makes him feel good, means less dog hair in the tent and removes any ticks that might be crawling around on his fur.

If you're going to put your dog in the vestibule, you really should have a tent with two doors and two vestibules, so you can have the dog in one and your shoes (especially if muddy) in the other, and you can go in and out without disturbing or tripping over him.

Do note that cramming a dog and a human into a solo tent will probably overwhelm the ventilation system and result in more condensation than you want inside! (Been there, done that!) I'd look for a 1.5 or 2 person tent. Note also that closing the vestibule for the dog, if he sleeps there, will also cut down on ventilation and therefore increase internal condensation.

Dan Cherry

@risingsun

Locale: Northern Arizona

Check out the Tarptent Stratospire 1 if you use or have considered using trekking poles. 2 doors + 2 very large vestibules in a solo+ tent.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

A MLD Duomid might be what you're looking for. You can ask MLD or Oookworks to make you a 1P inner.

David Ure

@familyguy

I would look at the Mountain Laurel Designs Speed Mid or Duo Mid depending on the size of the dog. Add an inner solo net tent with floor for you and the dog can have the rest of the space under the Mid.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes the BA Fly Creek 2 will be too small for your dog( small vestibule). I have a 130 pound Great Dane, " Buddy", who would keep me up all night if I made him sleep in a vestibule. He sleeps w/me in a Black Diamond Highlite 2, or TT Rainbow. He also fit okay inside a TT Contrail and a BA Flycreek 2 but I sold both. For lightweight backpacking not sure your going to lighten up very much finding a 3 season tent w/a huge vestibule. Good luck in your quest.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

My dog won't go for the vestibule suggestion. Wants to be in with me. I prefer that as well. Double Rainbow and a Duomid worked well for me. My dog refuses to wear a pack also.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Depending on how weight conscious you are, the Big Agnes Copper spur 1 or 2 will work. The 1 has a vestibule that is big enough and the 2 will have more than enough room inside and outside for your dog. The CS2 is only 3 pounds 7oz. I much prefer the CS over the Flycreeks b/c the flycreeks are just too short for me especially with the walls that cave in on you and get u wet all of the time.

Harris Goldstein

@hmgolds

Well I'm certainly not going to let my dog read these replies.

I appreciate the suggestions. A few reasons for wanting to keep her in the vestibule:

space – I don't think there would be enough room in solo tent for both of us
    dirt – keeping inside clean, especially if she finds some mud (though an extra "footprint" inside the tent could address this)
    ticks – she's on K9 Advantix; ticks will not stay on her but will I'm sure find me (had Ehrlichiosis once, don't want it again)

The Tarptent looks like a good possibility. But maybe I'll try my existing NF Tadpole to make sure she's OK with sleeping in the vestibule before making a solo tent decision.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

If you're looking for a palace, then no there definitely won't be enough room in a solo tent. But honestly all but the tiniest solo shelters have plenty of room for one plus a mid sized dog, and it's not terribly uncomfortable. Me and my 50lb border collie fit really well in a TT Sublite Tyvek, but no vestibule.

If you're really concerned about dirtying the floor, just cut a piece of polycryo to size and throw it down under you. I did that on a snowy and muddy trip last weekend and the floor was pretty much spotless afterwards.

Ben P

@benp1

Locale: London

I've been a few trips with my 70lb dog in a supermid, its palatial, and no worries about his claws going through the base. He's often been in the water before he gets in (Labrador) so its handy that its floorless. I stick my sleeping bag in a bivi

Had my wife in there as well as the dog and it was no problem space wise

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Put a pocket comb and a piece of packtowel in your dog's pack. Groom her at bedtime. Gets rid of ticks and most dirt/mud. My dog's pack also contains a breathable dog jacket to use when he is wet at bedtime (to separate his wet fur from my sleeping bag) or if it's a cold night.

Yes, it's a good idea to see if she will stay put in the tent vestibule before committing to that mode of sleeping! I know my dog would keep trying to come into the tent all night, probably to the detriment of the netting door!

The 'mid with inner tent also sounds like a good idea. I know my dog would want to be in the inner tent with me, though!

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

My 75lb pitty bull sleeps in my Nemo GoGo Elite with me. I am 6ft1 190lbs. It weighs 23oz

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

My duomid plus duo innernet has slept me, my wife, my 65 lb husky, a 20 lb shihtzu, and our gear on a couple of occassions. It was a tight fit, but it can be done. I would say that you would have plenty of room in a duomiud for just you and your dog plus gear.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

might as well get a tent that you can use year round, with one person or two persons or one person and a dog

use w/ an innernet during buggy season, lose it for outside bug season

David Ure

@familyguy

"My 75lb pitty bull sleeps in my Nemo GoGo Elite with me. I am 6ft1 190lbs. It weighs 23oz"

That is awesome. No need for extra insulation!

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Both my 60 lb female and 78 lb male Belgian Malinois sleep inside my tents with me (not both at once). They would refuse to sleep outside. Sure, the floor gets dirty and smells like wet dog from time to time, but I don't really care. Camping equipment doesn't always stay clean. Then again ticks are a genuin concern. I pulled over 20 off myself and over 80 off my dog after a SAR training at a local State Park two weeks ago. Ticks are out in force this year.

I had an MSR Hubba briefly, and the vestibule could likely fit your dog, but the inside of the tent is coffin size, and definitely would not. If the dog was inside, a Copper Spur UL2 or Fly Creek UL2 would have plenty room for both inside, and are lighter than your current tent. Not sure how good the floors would hold up to constant dog use, which is why I got rid of my BA tent.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Take a look at the Nemo Meta 2P. 2.9 lbs plus trekking poles and stakes.

eric lansford
    BPL Member

@papasherpa

Locale: PNW

I have a LightHeart SoLong 6. Great tent with an awning. Would be more than enough room for you, your pack and your pooch.

Rich Lillo

@sierrahiker

I concur with Dan Cherry. I have an older style Tarptent and love it. If you are weight conscious and don't want to use a tarp, then (imho) Tarptent is the way to go.
    I used to take my dog backpacking with me, it was her favorite thing to do, even though she didn't like carrying her pack. Had to put her down a few years ago =(

Harris Goldstein

@hmgolds

I picked up the SD Velox in the for sale forum to use for now. Somewhat heavy at 3 lbs, but I can fit the dog inside or in the vestibule. I won't need to be too concerned about damage. If things work well, I can look at a more permanent solution.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

David V
    BPL Member

@davev

I don't know what is best, but I use a Tarptent Moment with a 53 pound Siberian. He sleeps inside with me, rather than under the vestibule. There is enough room for each of us to be comfortable, but not much extra. This is my second season using this tent and so far I'm happy.

Harris Goldstein

@hmgolds

Any issues with condensation from an extra body in a smallish single wall tent?

David V
    BPL Member

@davev

Honestly, I have not found condensation to be a significant issue with this tent, whether the dog is along or not (and the dog comes with me on all hiking trips, but not when I'm paddling). Sure I get some condensation, but I do with my double wall tents too.

I have not used this tent in truly cold weather. I did use it on a trip on the Kekekabic in March and temperatures went down to 16 degrees and I had no trouble with condensation and the dog was with me. I do carry a pack towel to dry the dog off before he comes into the tent if it has been raining. Other than that, I don't do anything special.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have the BA fly creek UL2 and CharlieDog absolutely sleeps in there with me. He would never stay in the vestibule by himself, and he's got enough of a prey drive that I do need to keep him secure with me…lest he run off and bring home "guests" while I sleep.

He has never punctured the floor, he's terribly hairy and sheddy (golden retriever looking mutt) and loves nothing more than rolling around in even the tiniest mud puddle (bigger, muddier ones are better, of course…). In the morning I just lift up the tent and shake out all that the big guy left behind and I'm good to go. As for the ticks, they die when they bite the dog on Advantix, that's the only reason they're not staying on the dog (they much prefer to hide in his fur than find you). So the only ticks youll see falling of your pup are dead ones.

The size of the BA fly creek 2 person is absolutely perfect for the two of us (tried sharing it with my boyfriend and the dog and that was a tad, um, squished). The front entrance keeps him from stomping all over my expensive bedding and he just sleeps along side me, helping to keep me warm.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools