Topic

Momentum vs Quantum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Momentum vs Quantum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

I recently acquired a Bozeman Mountain Works Vapr Bivy. I haven't had it out in wet weather yet, so, in order to test the water resistance of the Pertex Quantum top, I ran a rather simple experiment: I laid the bivy out on a table, placed a paper towel inside it, and poured a small pool of water on top. After about an hour, the paper towel was already beginning to get damp. When I checked it this morning (10 hours later), the water had completely soaked through. Ron at MLD reported that, in a similar experiment, Momentum had no soak through at all. Moreover, he's found Momentum to be just as breathable as Pertex Quantum.

I doubt that the increased water resistance of Momentum would be all that noticeable in typical tarp camping conditions, where Quantum is more than up to the task of keeping rain spray at bay (as evidenced by Ryan's Lost Coast trip). Nonetheless, given the two options, are there any good reasons not to choose Momentum? Ron obviously doesn't think so, but does anyone else have an opinion? Does Quantum have any other properties that offset its lesser water resistance?

Stephen Parmenter
    BPL Member

@parmens

Locale: OH

Who is Momentum made by? Is there a post where Ron talks about the breathability of momentum vs quantum?

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

I'm not sure who makes Momentum. Ron discusses it on his Fabric Mojo page.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

If you bought your bivy used, consider replenishing the DWR coating. That can make a huge difference. I'm waiting on some Momentum 90, and would be happy to do a comparison w/ Quantum when it arrives — that should be a few weeks however.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools