Topic

Warmth of Montbell U.L. Thermawrap to Arc’Teryx Atom LT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warmth of Montbell U.L. Thermawrap to Arc’Teryx Atom LT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Greetings, currently deciding between these two jackets for spring-fall insulation. On the one hand the Atom has slightly more insulation than the thermawrap (60 vs 50), though on the other hand it has that thin stretchy material under the arms and down the sides. Would love for anyone who has owned boh or at least one of these to chime in with their opinion.

Thanks!
    Brad

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have a U.L. Thermawrap from several years ago… not sure how it's changed recently. My Thermawrap is definitely lighter and believe it or not, seems a bit warmer than the ArcTeryx Atom LT, partially due to the fleece side panels, but it seems more than that. On the other hand, the Atom fits perfectly, moves with me, and looks nicer. Backpacking, the Thermawrap is my go to jacket. Around town, skiing, climbing (if I was still doing it) I would go with the Atom. Of course, from a warmth perspective, the Montbell UL Down Jacket crushes both and is lighter.

–Mark

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

1. My Atom Lt's hood easily fits over my helmet (for skiing or climbing) but my T-wrap's hood does not.
    2. The Atom Lt is partly a fleece garment, and I consider it only part of a system, not a complete system: I always bring (a) a windshirt to go over or under, to block the wind through those side panels when necessary. But nothing else in its class breathes as well as the Atom Lt. OR, (b) a vest of some sort. OR, (c) if cold, a hoodless jacket, like the Nano Puff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools