Topic

B2B – Bay to Beach – 60 miles with my 10 year old Daughter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports B2B – Bay to Beach – 60 miles with my 10 year old Daughter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Two weeks ago my 10 year old daughter asked for a special treat – a one-on-one weekend with daddy to go on the B2B hike. The B2B hike is something I came up with when my dad died. I needed time alone for my grief and hiked from our home on the San Francisco Peninsula to the Pacific Ocean. This hike is now a family tradition that I undertake at least once a year to reflect, think about my parents, the values they instilled in me and all the things they did for me.
    So now my 10 year old daughter wanted to go on the 60 mile B2B hike with me over a weekend. Yeah! To give us a little bit more flexibility, we decided to leave Friday evening right after work, instead of leaving Saturday morning. That way we didn’t need to do two 30 mile days in a row.

We began our hike at Bayland Park in Palo Alto where Hannah filled a vial with Bay water.
    Hannah fills vial with water from San Francisco Bay

Right now the herons and egrets are nesting in the trees and their young ones make really interesting noises.
    Baby Heron

Our hike led us first through the City of Palo Alto and then Stanford University Campus. Stanford is also called “The Farm” from the times when it used to be a horse farm. As you can see there are still horses around.
    Hannah at "The Farm"

Now we crossed from the more urban area into Arastradero Preserve, where we admired the full moon.
    Moon over Arastradero Preserve
    It gave us enough light to make it to Towle Camp in Foothills Park. Those first 13 miles on Friday after work were a lot of fun – and not only because we could just stop at Subway to get our dinner.
    Saturday morning we got up early and continued through Foothills Park to Los Trancos Open Space Preserve where we had a great view back at the Bay.
    Looking back to the San Francisco Bay from Los Trancos Trail
    From Los Trancos OSP we crossed into Monte Bello OSP where we saw a turkey.
    Turkey in Monte Bello Open Space Preserve
    Going through Upper Stevens Creek County Park and Saratoga Gap OSP we finally reached Castle Rock State Park, where we needed to cross a road at a parking lot with vista point. Knowing that Mr. Mustard sells hot dogs and soda in the parking lot on the weekends might have sped Hannah and we finished those 14 miles by noon. After a nice lunch we hiked through Castle Rock State Park and Big Basin Redwoods State Park to the Loving Parents Woodland Grove.
    Hannah at Loving Parents Woodland Grove in Big Basin
    This is a spot that makes the B2B hike special for us. It gives us a place to reflect on our parents. My daughter and I had long conversations about her grandparents while we hiked. We ended the day after 30 miles in Big Basin Redwoods State Park.
    Knowing that we had all day long for the remaining 17 miles we stopped even more for play than usual – like crawling through a Redwood Hannah crawls through a Redwood or playing with a Newt Hannah with Newt.

Towards the end of our hike we visited several waterfalls
    Hannah on Upper Golden Cascades
    Hannah in Upper Golden Cascades
    The Golden Cascades

Hannah at top of Silver Fall
    Silver Fall
    Hannah and dad at Berry Creek Fall
    And Berry Creek Fall

Now we were close to the beach
    We can see the ocean!
    Where we emptied the vial of Bay water into the Pacific Ocean
    Hannah empties vial with Bay water in Pacific Ocean

The rest of our family was playing at the beach, watching the wind surfers and everyone was as proud as Hannah herself when she showed the GPS
    Hannah shows GPS at beach
    Here is a screenshot from the Garmin GPS.
    Screenshot from Garmin GPS
    We actually walked a quarter mile along the beach before we took the photo and screen shot to make it exactly 60 miles. Not that the mileage really matters. The real fun was in the time spent together. Now her 8 year old sister wants to bring the water back from the beach to the bay. Guess what I will be doing in two weeks …

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

A fun TR, thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to longer trips with my young daughter in the years to come.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That is really impressive Manfred. Congratulations and a big thumbs up to Hannah. Time together like this is so precious and the talks about your parents make it even better.
    Thanks for an inspiring report and some lovely pictures. What a beautiful little champ!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Great job Manfred.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Cool hike, I like the idea of connecting a hike to family memories. Hope you make a trip report for the younger one as well.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

Great trip report Manfred.
    The wide smile on your daughter's face in every photo speaks volumes.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

That's great Manfred. I like the creativity in connecting the local parks together.

I also appreciate the family connection.

"There is nothing more sad or glorious than generations changing hands" – J. Mellencamp

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Manfred, what a fun trip. We're in a real family groove lately, really enjoying this. I hope to put one up soon myself. I enjoyed your daughters big smile and all those different views, very nice!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Really nice trip report, Manfred (and Hannah). I think your right–it isn't really the mileage–but it is great what kids can accomplish (and happily!) .

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Very nice, Manfred. Thanks for sharing the report. I recall talking with you about your kids/family activities at the GGG a couple years back. Your level of involvement with you children is awesome.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Luke was interested to also get a trip report for the hike with my youngest daughter. This weekend my 8 year old went with me on the 60 mile B2B hike. You can find that 2nd trip report
    >about the B2B hike that I did two weeks later with my younger daughter here

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Such a fantastic trip report! Inspiring for sure! I might need to do this trip

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools