Topic

First UL Hammock Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First UL Hammock Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Just playing with gear grams and my hammock kit.

We will call it my 35°F list.
    I could sleep down to about 25°F with this gear but I'd probably add some more clothes and swap the vest for my down jacket, gloves, merino long john's, down socks etc.
    It's nice to have some comfort when not in bed around camp.

Happy to be in the UL tribe…. Well I think I am.
    Unless you can correct me on some points ??

Even happier to do it with a hammock. Can shave more weight if ground camping but I love the hammock and I sleep so well in it.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=7871

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Your list looks good…It's pretty obvious that you were a UL ground-dweller before moving up in the world. It helps because then you only need to worry about your hammock system.

About the only thing you could to do go lighter would be to replace your hammock. The total weight of my Grand Trunk Nano-7 (including a 6' and 8' strap and whoopie slings) is 307 grams (10.8 ounces) – half your WBBB with straps.

I just ordered another hammock from a new company – Butt in a Sling Hammocks – and they'll give me a bigger hammock for not too much of a weight penalty. The Nano-7 isn't bad, but it's not a big hammock.

Since you're using an underquilt you don't really need the double-layer (to hold a pad) and that adds a fair amount of weight. It might be something to keep in mind if you start looking at other hammocks.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

+1 on BIAS hammock being a bit bigger than a Nano with little weight penalty.

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Thanks guys. I've allways been a hammock guy since backpacking for a few years and sometimes dwindle into ground shelter if there are no tree's (ie: Alpine)
    This is my first list of gear though that get's me UL without dropping too many comforts. Thank's to cuben, M50 and 7d for that !!

I actually have a good 1.5oz/yd ripstop DIY hammock that only weigh's in at 310grams. I do use this on occasion but not often. Those BIAS hammocks look nice. I did make a 1.1oz/yd ripstop hammock and found the stretch to much and the lay not all that flat (I'm 185lbs, 5'11")

Problem is no bug net and my WBBB is so darn comfy I just take it everywhere. We have lots of bugs generally in OZ. (I would put a "LOL" but it's sometimes not very funny….)
    I know I could just add a light bug net but I lay so much flatter in the WBBB, I can even belly sleep to some extent (Which I cannot duplicate in other hammocks)
    I think that's due to the double layer and limited material stretch.
    I fear this hammock has turned into one of my "comfort" items, yes I could halve the weight but is it going to make much difference dropping from 9.5 lbs down to 9 ish lbs ??

Thanks for the tips.

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I hadn't heard of BIAS before. Fortunately, I absolutely love the Nano-7 I got a few weeks ago. I'm 6'5" and 240lbs, nearly the worst case scenario for light hammocks, but the Nano-7 has given me some fantastic afternoon naps in the park down the street.

To solve the bug issue for overnights I bought a HUG bug net for the Nano-7 from Arrowhead Outfitters. It's a sort of half bug net designed by Derek Hansen (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49849). It's 5 oz, could probably be done DIY for less than 4 oz but I'm lazy and the construction on Arrowhead's is top notch.

I've also got to recommend Jacks 'R' Better tri-glides as a killer and underrated alternative to whoopie slings. For the same or less weight than many whoopie sling systems they're simpler and every bit as adjustable. I attach them directly to my hammock for a total weight just under 10oz. Should be just over a pound if I ever scrounge the dough for a cuben tarp. Still, with my Hennessy asym tarp I'm still under 1.5 lbs for a super comfy shelter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools