Topic

Some ideas about pot handles replacement?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Some ideas about pot handles replacement?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hi,

I'm living in really hot climate, so I don't take any gloves.
    While thinking about possible pot handles replacement, I came up with two options:
    1) bend spork's end of handle to use it as handle to pot ( will work with some pots)
    2) use 2 tarp Ti stakes as handles.

for 2 I need to modify stakes a little, so I can insert them in the handle bindings on the pot side. Do you know how thick the stake end should be in order to be inserted in that handle binding of Ti Evernew 1.3L pot?

Thanks!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

why would you replace the pot handle on the evernew 1.3L???? you certainly dont need gloves to pick it up, its cool to touch, its perfect as is, allows you to pick up pot and control it and pour it with one hand while holding a freezer bag with other, and is probably lighter than anything else you could come up with.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You probably don't need to replace any handles.

Handles generally get hot from only two ways. One is the heat of a stove burner, and it is generally underneath and flowing up the sides, so the handle area gets hit for about one inch. The second way is from the heat of the pot contents, and it radiates and conducts out through all of the metal.

What I found was that I only need to protect a little from the first way, so I wind little strips of aluminum foil around that one inch of handle nearest the heat. Cheap. Lightweight.

–B.G.–

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.
    If you get evernew pot without lid and handles it will save you 2 oz.
    So you can use spork or stakes which are already with you as a handle.
    I mean turn it to multifunction item (or make additional function to already multifunctional item).

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

i think im clear on what you are doing & want to achieve, but dont really see the point, it might be over complicating something that doesnt need to be complicated.

for starters, gloves arnt the only thing that you can lift a hot pot with.

i have 2 evernew pots, neither being the 1.3L (i guess this is what you are looking at), but i cant see how bending the handle of a spork is going to fit into this brand, unless this size pot has a different set up to mine or you have an interesting shaped spork or maybe you are willing to risk the pot doing some kind of chop shop job on it to make something fit.

if you are going to bend some ti stakes, its probably best if they are the same diameter as the pots original handle. bending ti probably means heating it up which could weaken it & changing its shape may make it less ideal for use as a stake.

you also mention saving 2oz by not using the lid or handles (no lid may negate any weight savings by using more fuel). may i suggest at least a foil lid, this should lead to less fuel consumption (hopefully less weight) unless you are using a wood fire, in which case wont matter as much.

just my opinion, but bascially, i would say… k.i.s.s (keep it stupid simple :^})…keep the handle on, maybe use ya sweat rag as a pot lifter, & get some foil for a lid.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I did a tutorial on installing Ti spoke bail handles on all my BPL Firelite SUL pots. I usually bookmark stuff like that but evidently didn't that time, and can't find it now. Pretty easy to do though. Less than three grams per handle and work like a charm.FireLite Titanium post with Ti Spoke bails

Brasslite 550 with Ti spoke bail
    Brasslite 550 w/ Ti spoke bail handle.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvH-iPP_Os

I got the MYOG ultralights lid.
    So are aligned even upside down.
    ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€ใ€
    ๅ…ฅๆ‰‹ใงใใ‚‹ๆœ€ใ‚‚่ปฝใ„้‡‘ๅฑžใฏใ€0.1๏ฝ๏ฝๅŽšใฟใฎใƒใ‚ฟใƒ‹ใ‚ฆใƒ ใƒ•ใ‚ฉใ‚คใƒซใงใ™ใ€‚
    ็ซฏ้ƒจใ‚’ๆ›ฒใ’่พผใ‚€ใ“ใจใงใ€้€†ใ•ใซใ—ใฆใ‚‚ๅค–ใ‚Œใชใ„ใปใฉใงใ™๏ผˆ็ฌ‘๏ผ‰

steve flinn
    BPL Member

@steveflinn

I use a bit of carbon felt as windscreen & potholder.

Roberto Fioravanti

@robertissimo

Remove one handle, toss it. Remove second handle, cut a groove in the hanle holster. Now you can jam the hanle in fix position and safely use it. There are different ti alloys tent stake I have do not annel with wood fire.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I like your lid Yukio. It looks like you just pressed the foil around the rim of the pot, or did you make it some other way?

I tried to make a lid from aluminium sheet but it warped when I formed the rim.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Denis, I have a couple of questions for you. Did you drill into the side of the pot to install the handle? Also, your bail handles are a bit smaller than most I have seen. Have you had any problems with them getting too hot? Are you able to pour okay? I mostly FBC, so pouring carefully is important. Do you ever miss having handles?

Thanks

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

You can use your hands with Ti pots, just grab above the water line.

No gloves, bandanas, or other special tools needed.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

I read about adding cork pad to strategic areas of your pot on the forum. Sorry, I can't remember who to give credit to. I use a SnowPeak Ti bowl that gets filled up almost to the top for cooking & boiling water. I siliconed 4 small cork pads every 90 degrees around the bowl. The pads are slightly larger than fingertip size in diameter. They've held up to 2 3-day weekend trips so far.

I don't remember exactly but the 4 small cork pads don't weigh but a couple grams.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Well if your living in a hot area I'm sure you probably have a bandana. That's all I've ever used to pick up my pots/mugs. Ya just wrap it around the pot and presto you've got a pot holder/handle. I always wear a bandana summer-winter.
    I'm sure some don't but anyways there's a cheap easy fix…

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

and if you dont have bit of cloth, make some tongs at camp while waiting for billy to boil. a knife and forked branch will do. here's a link to a video demonstrating the how…..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHvUyedX3o0&list=PL06957622B26F190B&index=9
    pretty easy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools