Topic

Climashield Apex needs quilting?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Climashield Apex needs quilting?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Dear all,

For a basic quilt, have people found that Apex requires any quilting? Various references suggest that it requires much less quilting than other insulations, but I don't have a sense as to whether it will hold together well enough to get by without any.

Thanks!

Best,

Bill

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

all of the Apex quilts i have seen on here have been sewn around the perimeter only.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

I didn't quilt the APEX "couples quilt" I put together for my brother-in-law last month. From handling the CS, I can say that it is a fairly "tough" insulation; it took enough pulling at scraps to break them up that I'm fairly confident it won't need quilting to stay in place. Just make sure you sew all four sides to the shell, that's all.

Easy-peasy.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

When I did a 2.5 Apex quilt (big one – around 50" x 90" I think..don't quote me..) with M50 and 5 mm silk last year and all I did was sew it around the four edges — ended up with a 14.5 oz. monster quilt that is perfect to use in the late winter early spring with a bivy or net tent (had it down to 40* very comfortably with a fleece hat and almost no base layers — it is very warm stuff even though it doesn't look like it).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools