Topic

First MYOG project – longitudinal baffles quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG project – longitudinal baffles quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Alexey Pomortsev
    Spectator

@al-vic-pom

Locale: The Stone Belt

Hi!

My first MYOG project is clearly inspired by Katabatic Gear quilts. It’s basically a Palisade Regular replica except it has longitudinal baffles and 2 oz overstuffing.
    Some specs: total weight 540g / 19.0 oz of which 325g / 11.5 oz is 900 f.p. Thru-hiker’s down, ~155g / 5.5 oz Momentum 90T shell and liner, 15g / 0.5 oz Nanoseeum netting baffles, 45g / 1.6 oz everything else including the moisture down caught during stuffing.

Dimensions: liner length (fabric is differentially cut so shell dimensions differ) 1820mm / 71.7”, shoulder width 1270mm / 50.0”, foot girth 965mm / 38.0”. Baffle spacing is 130mm / 5.1” on the shell and 110-130mm / 4.3-5.1” on the liner. Baffle height decreases from 35mm / 1.4” for the three top baffles to 19mm / 0.7” on the backside.

Here pictures. Sorry for crappy quality. Photos were taken by phone.

Upside

Supposedly anatomical footbox

Footbox

Neck area

Neck

Back side

Back

Neck closure details

Closure

Graphics. Liner.

Liner

Shell

Shell

Section at the widest point

Section

Footbox cover

Footbox

I tried to design quilt pattern to optimally use whole width of fabric including the part cut to make a ‘backhole’. This material was used to make footbox covers. Hence the backhole shape.

Fabric before cutting

I started this project almost one year ago but given its complexity and total lack of sewing skills on my side run out of energy and time before hiking season started. So I postponed it and restarted only recently. I admit it wasn’t the brightest idea to begin MYOG from such a relatively complex project. If not helpful Roger Caffin’s article I probably would never complete it.

I initially planned to use orange Momentum 50 fabric for shell but changed my mind after first reports on BPL of lacking downproofness of M50. This decision costed me 26g / 0.9 oz of excessive weight. The weight could be decreased further down to ~490g / 17.3 oz if both the shell and the liner were made of Momentum 50.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Wow — amazing. Thank you for the details.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Alexey,

That is the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen! I wish I had your "lack of" sewing skills. Amazing work.

That will be warm, for sure.

Todd

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Good looking quilt, I like the all black look and the large shoulder width- looks comfortable. Congrats on the myog success.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Geez man. That is really good.

Ryan

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

You should send photos of that quilt to an architecture or design magazine. It looks well-planned and warm, but it's also beautiful. Excellent work.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I just started sewing about a month ago and often struggle with only a stuff sack. Sewing is tough. Your project is incredibly ambitious for a novice so well done. Looks as though it was professionally made. While I'm making stuff sacs and aprons, you're making complex quilts … don't show me your second sewing project! Keep up the good work.

Alexey Pomortsev
    Spectator

@al-vic-pom

Thanks for kind words!

Mike R> While I'm making stuff sacs and aprons, you're making complex quilts … don't show me your second sewing project!

Mike, my second sewing project will be… a stuff sack for this quilt :-) In this area you are ahead of me.

P.S. It took me so much time and effort to design patterns for this quilt that it would be a pity if only one piece of it was created. So if someone interested I can share the patterns in a form of a spreadsheet or alike. What do you think? Anybody interested?

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Great job. Pretty courageous to go for a quilt right of the start, kudos.
    Some myog projects do tend to drag out on time, but it's well worth it. :)

Supernice.

William Trimble

@wmjt22

"P.S. It took me so much time and effort to design patterns for this quilt that it would be a pity if only one piece of it was created. So if someone interested I can share the patterns in a form of a spreadsheet or alike. What do you think? Anybody interested?"

That is a very impressive piece, you should be proud. If you would like to share the design patterns I know I'd be interested and am sure there are plenty of others who would be as well.

Excellent work and thanks for sharing!

Alexey Pomortsev
    Spectator

@al-vic-pom

I uploaded patterns for my quilt as a qear list PDF file. Unsure if it's against BPL rules… View my profile to see it. Short instructions how to sew the quilt are included on the last page. They are hardly really clear and understandable so I'm ready for answering questions.

By the way the 'technology' requires drawing patterns on a scale paper. Numbers are for 1 millimeter metric scale paper. I can recalculate it to 'imperial' units but I have no idea what are smalest grid spacing on a 'imperial' scale paper…

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

Awesome job Alexey!

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

That quilt looks fantastic. You say the footbox is "supposedly" anatomical? So, I take it did not work as intended? Looks pretty smart to me.

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

Alexey, thank you very much for sharing the pattern and instructions for your quilt!

Alexey Pomortsev
    Spectator

@al-vic-pom

Dion, though I designed footbox size and shape using my own foots as a model (drawing several variants on scale paper and standing on these drawings trying to figure out the best one) at the moment I started this thread I didn't field tested the quilt yet. Hence the cautious caption. Since that I've found that footbox is as comfortable as I expected (especially for back sleeping).

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

To address Alexey's question about grid spacing on imperial scale paper, I googled "pattern making paper" and found:

http://sewtrue.com/Store/60-Dotted-Marking-Paper-Per-Foot-P607.html

Item DPFT60 has markings that are one inch (1") apart.

Can Alexey convert his pattern numbers to use this paper (without too much trouble)?

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

Nice. Well, fantastic job, I say.
    Looks professionally made.

Alexey Pomortsev
    Spectator

@al-vic-pom

Laurie Gibson> Item DPFT60 has markings that are one inch (1") apart.

Laurie, that's huge spacing! It is still applicable though but rather as reference grid for ordinary ruler I think… To give you a perspective the metric scale paper I used has thick grid lines 50mm (~2'') apart, thiner grid at 10mm (3/8''), even thiner grid with spacing of 5mm (3/16'') and thin minimal spacing grid of just 1mm (1/25'') apart. The widht of a roll is 850mm / almost 2' and the lenght is… I don't know how many meters. Enought for several years of MYOG probably.

So I updated the PDF file in my profile. Added new 'imperial pattern' pages after instructions list. The precision is 1/16''. Down distribution table in ounces is also included.

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Alexey, many thanks for the imperial system conversion! Will continue searching for pattern paper with finer grid spacing.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

That is beautiful! If you decide to make a few more, keep me posted, please. I don't have the skills to make that, even with the instructions.

Kevin

Alexey Pomortsev
    Spectator

@al-vic-pom

Hi there!

Just finished a pair for my first quilt. This time a summer variant with sew-through karo step baffles and Velcro / drawcord footbox closure. I was too lazy to design new pattern so just used the previous one. The pattern for the shell elongated by 150 mm to be more precise.

The karo step baffles are close to be 10” / 6” lengthwise and 5”/ 2” widthwise. It was a mistake actually. Now I think it would be better if I made the spacing 10”/4”. 10”/6” is good for “down control” but God how hard it was to redistribute the down through these thin openings! I have spent several hours trying to push down through jammings and still the down spreading is far from ideal.

The textile is Thru-hiker’s orange M50 fabric of that first butch of light 10d material that became available for MYOG. The total weight of the quilt is 340 g or 12 oz of which 200 g / 7 oz is 900 f.p. down. Dimensions: the length before down stuffing was 195 cm / 77”, after stuffing it shrinked to 180 cm / 71”. The girth at the widest point was 143 cm / 56” and became 130 cm / 51” after.

Quilt as a blanket (footside)

Quilt as a blanket (neckside)

Topside

Backside

Footbox closed

4" double loft

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Alexey, Nice Lookig Quilt!!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Alexey you do such fine work!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

This karo quilt of yours is just beautiful!

It looks so good I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pack it up out of sight to continue hiking down the trail come morning. ;-)

Excellent work!

Party On,

Newton

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I'm just blown away by what you have created so far! Art and Technology have been merged.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools