Topic

New 20’F down bags $110; 1kg

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New 20’F down bags $110; 1kg

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

There are lighter 20' bags to be had, and on the other side of that coin, warmer bags at this weight of about 1kg(2.2lbs), but wow, this is a great value for winter camping; or as someone's only 3+ season bag.

Using techniques here at BPL (3 layer sleep system, wearing your insulation clothing layer to bed, etc..) you could probably push this bag to 0'F, for $110!

A comparable Montbell bag is more roomy, a little lighter, but more than twice as expensive. Its really tempting to pick one up as a loaner bag for a companion hiker!

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86896&memberId=12500226Campor 20F bag

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Brett,

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the "house brand" Campmor down sleeping bag. It or an equivalent has been around for quite some years however. It has been known as a reasonably good quality "cheap" alternative. The bag uses 550 cu in goose down and as I recall others (possibly Mark Verber??) indicating that the 20 degree rating may be a bit optimistic. Also, I am not sure if the baffles are sewn through (preventing the down from being shifted).

Rich

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Hey Brett,
    I have that bag in the long version. It was given to me as a present when I first got into backpacking.

It's really quite a good bag for the money. The 20F rating is optimistic, but it will definitely get you below freezing. The cut is roomy and the fabric feels fine. I've used it on one trip, and it plus some clothes kept me warm into the mid/upper-20s.

I'm actually looking to sell mine because it's big/heavy for me now that I've moved into UL/SUL and it turns out that I don't need the long length. Check the gear swap section if you're interested.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools