Topic

Ice off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Ice off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Garcia

@mountainfly

Locale: Aurora, Co

Does anyone else get excited for ice off? That time of year that the high country starts opening up, and the lakes start to lose their caps. The fishing season for red belly fish above 12k is short, but exciting. Ice off has become like a holiday for me, and I look forward to it every year. I love eager fish that have been under ice for 7 months. With the mild winter we had in Colorado I'm going to my luck for at an early ice off in a couple weeks.

ice off

ice off 2

fish

ice off 3

fish2

Cheers to a good start.

Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

I milder winter here in the Yellowstone area should mean earlier/longer access to high country lakes and streams. I am planning a particular trip for goldens this year. Can't wait.

Mike Garcia

@mountainfly

Locale: Aurora, Co

We had a milder winter in Colorado as well, and lakes that usually frozen this time of year are starting to open up. I've been trying to plan a trip to Yellowstone to chase Goldens myself, but I always get derailed by all the areas in Colorado that I have not explored. I found and caught golden trout in Colorado this last summer. The DOW didn't think they existed in Colorado anymore.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Great pics! I really wish I could hit the high country early, but with so little winter snow camping experience, I would be likely to get myself killed or hurt in some way like falling through a snow bridge or slipping down a snowfield.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools