Topic

Help me choose a sleeping bag please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me choose a sleeping bag please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Klaus

@wwhermit

Locale: So Cal

I tried quilts, really tried them, but they just didn’t work for me. I need to go back to sleeping bags. Please help me decide between the two. Temps for me will rarely get down past 35 degrees. I mostly hike around the PCT around San Bernardino and Angeles mountains. My pack for overnights or weends is a Talon 44, longer than that is a Gregory Z65. Will be sleeping in a tent with a Prolite Plus, maybe soon a Neo Air All Season. I sleep rather warmly. The two contestants:

Western Mountaineering Summerlite:

http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=69

Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #3

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=796&p_id=2321139

Price: $340 for both

Weight: WM is 19oz, MB is 22oz

Montbell is super stretchy inside, great for a side and tossy-turney sleeper like me.
    I’ve seen the WM Summerlite pack down to the size of a Nalgene bottle, and it’s 3 ounces lighter.

Anyone used either, or both, and have some insight that may help me decide?

WWhermit

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I had a Summerlite- great bag, great fit/finish- was simply too small for me, it's a rather tight cut- if your smaller (or maybe even medium-ish) probably will be fine, if you're a little larger than you'll likely find it tight.

One other bag to look at is the Marmot Helium, quality down and workmanship, but cut much more fully

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The montbell is $294 at Prolitegear.com
    If you are slim you can get a feathered friends Merlin on clearance from Prolitegear for $264. It is only a 58" girth bag, summerlite is 59"

Both will be warmer than the summerlite, which EN tested at 35F , the Merlin is likely 25-28F in reality with 12oz down, 23oz total.

They also have the Osprey on clearance for $279, its bigger and about 27 oz I think

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a WM Megalite regular B/C it has more shoulder girth. I'm 5' 10" with a 42" chest and it fits me fine. I like it because I can easily wear insulated clothing in it and not feel confined and not squeeze the bag's insulation.

Also the Megalite is good as a quilt on hot nights when unzipped and spread over a mattress. I tuck the foot of my TR Prolite pad in the foot of the Megalite and the bag stays put all night. It's very comfortable that way – almost like sleeping at home.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I've been very happy with my summerlite down to 30F. If weight is a deciding factor though, mine comes in over spec at 21 oz, so not as big a difference there as you might think.

brandon reynolds

@brandonreynolds85

Locale: Rocky Mountains

i have the ultralite… you cant get much better than WM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools