Topic

Leather lash tabs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Leather lash tabs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Does anyone know where to source leather lash tabs for attaching accessory straps, you know, like the ones found on old canvas packs?

I need approx 4.

I have found plastic sewable lash tabs, but not real leather tabs.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

isn't that going to add weight? ;) i kid i kid!!

you could email JanSport. they use them for their packs.

like on the top corner of this?
    http://jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=16&pid=TVU2

Ray Bailly

@tempestv

Couldn't you get a piece of leather and cut them yourself?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Thanks for the ideas fellas.

Cutting up some of my own leather tabs was an idea that crossed my mind, but I know nothing about working with leather, tooling, etc. I'll look into it, maybe it's straight forward. I want the punch outs for the straps to be clean, no hack jobs.

Jake, I'll browse for an old school backpack and see if I can scalp what I need.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Maybe Rivendell Mountain Works will sell you some of their dumbell-shaped lash tabs, but I'm not sure if this style is quite what you are looking for…

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Eugene,

If you get stuck, let me know. I can make a couple up for you to what ever size you need, and post them over.

Standard currency is a six pack, but in this case, you'll have to drink them. I'm pretty sure it's not practical to post them this way!!

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

Leather is quite easy to work with. You can simply cut it in any shape you like with a stanley knife or something similar and if necessary yu can make the edges smoother with any smooth round surface (not sandpaper!). I use the handle of my stanley knife to smoothe the edges. For corners I'd suggest that you punch a round hole first with special pliers. For sewing you may need to punch the holes first with a nail and then sew it by hand. Alternatively you can just ask a shoemaker or saddlemaker to sew the leather for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools