Topic

Will I be warm in this at 20 F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Will I be warm in this at 20 F

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Just chasing some knowledge as us poor Aussies have limited windows to test clothing systems. Well I do anyway. Where I live it never gets below freezing and the only time I see cold weather is when away on a walk.
    Working on my 20°F insulation list.
    Possibility of walking in around freezing damp/wet weather.
    All my clothes on the list now are….
    Head:
    Blackrock Beanie
    Torso:
    Rab Meco 120 LS
    Melanzana Grid Mesh Hoodie (Hoodie can add to head / neck insulation.
    Feathered Friends Daybreak Jacket (Camp / Sleep only)
    Montane Air eVent jacket.
    Legs:
    Merino 195gsm Long Johns. (Probably only Camp / Sleep)
    Goosefeet down 2/3rd Pants. (Camp / Sleep only)
    Rab Bergen eVent Rain Pants.
    Light Hiking Shorts.(Walking)
    Feet:
    Thin Merino Socks. (Walking in only, probably wet from the day)
    NRS Hydroskin Socks. (Walking in only, probably wet from the day)
    Goosefeet Down Booties. (Camp / Sleep only)
    Goosefeet Bootie Shell's. (Camp / Sleep only)

Will I be warm wearing this gear or should I up the down jacket to my Montbell Alpine Light ??
    Not worried about my legs and feet. Mainly torso warmth.

Sleep system would be my Hammock, 3/4 15°F UQ, Footpad & a 30°F TQ.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'm not very familiar with those jackets, but I think I'd be plenty warm at 20F. The down pants and booties are nice, but I've been just a little chilly without them down to 10F. I know I would want to at least bring a pair of medium wool socks, but my toes get cold easily. I also bring an acrylic knit balaclava.

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Just to clear it up my FF Daybreak has 2.8oz of 900 fill down. Sort of between a MB UL/EX Inner Jacket and the Alpine Light.
    It's not as lofty as my MB Alpine Light though. I'd say it's about 3/4" single side loft.
    The Daybreak is a great light down jacket but I'm concerned it might not be enough.
    Or will I be fine….

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

I have the Daybreak as well. Now I am a cold person, but I only bring it when I don't think the temperatures will drop much below 40 if that is my only insulation. Judging by this post

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950

I would have to put the FF jacket at a max of 2.25 clo since it has a little more down than the Montbell UL Down Inner. Using that information I would look at this post.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=9378

This chart seems to show that a clo of at least 4 is recommended for 20 degrees. I would maybe take the the Alpine Light since it has an ounce more down for not too much more weight. If you bring the the FF jacket you can always go to bed early if you get too cold sitting around. I recommend bookmarking those two threads as I have found them invaluable.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

That would be plenty of insulation for me in 20deg. with that clothes list i would take a 35deg bag. however, i know several people who would consider this more of a 35deg clothing list, so it's very personal. oh, and dont forget gloves!! have fun, be a little cold, you wont die!! have fun!

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Yes I have gloves, Just forgot to list them
    I'll have my usual possum down gloves and some MLD eEvent rain mitts.

I have trolled all over gear lists etc and it's just hard as I'm looking at less of a jacket than is normal… But those down panst have to count for something, Right ?

I know I can use the MB Alpine Light and did do that last year and was toasty @20 F. But I'm now packing down pants and the MB parka is quite a bit heavier than the FF (180grams more, I know I'm a gram wieny) But I wouldn't need my blackrock hat if I took the MB.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Sounds like plenty to me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools