Topic

Glow in the Dark Zip Pull

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Glow in the Dark Zip Pull

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yesterday I received an unexpected parcel from a mate in Hong Kong labelled "toys for Franco".
    Inside amongst other bits , were 12x Glow In The Dark zip pulls.
    Somehow I remembered that a guy was selling them here at BPL, but had forgotten that Alex had told me that he was going to marked those sometime before that…
    (Alex is from Luxe Outdoor and that is how I know him. He is also a total gear nerd)
    So I got from Google the link to the BPL thread and noted that they were sold for $2 for 5.
    My mate has them on eBay for $4.80 a dozen or $17.50 for 50, free shipping.
    They do glow in the dark, very faint but just enough. The cord also has a reflective strand.
    Around 1/2 g each.
    Glow in the dark zip pull
    Franco
    on eBay as
    'Glow in dark reflective cord rope zipper pull end dozen'
    (good luck in finding that under zip pull… I think the heading needs some work)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you don't want to get something shipped in from Hong Kong, then you can just apply Glow-In-The-Dark nail polish or paint to your existing zipper pull. It comes in different colors, but many have Strontium Aluminate as the active ingredient.

(My chemist friends say, "What the heck is that?")

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I posted about them because they were popular when that other guy was selling them and you are not going to find them just by Googling.
    I could not even find them in the E Bay search…
    Franco

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

There is actually a US option that does not require you to dig though all of Ebay to find them. We stock those same pulls and another glow zipper pull as well.

Cheers,

Paul

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i'll be honest, i have never had a zipper pull break on me, but i have broken two of these albeit in higher stress situations. both were on the door zipper of my shangri la 1. I pitched it tight and had to apply some pressure to close the door all the way down. both broke on the left hand side where the rope separated from the plastic. they are light and perfect for gloves, just wouldnt count on them for zippers you will need to synch down…

just my 2 cents

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

For a start, because inevitably people think of this…, I did get those zip pulls for free but I am not making anything out of this apart from entertaining myself.
    I did a finger pull ring with one of them, no problem.
    So I increased the pressure eventually trying it with a 10kg (22lb) load.
    zip pull test 1
    It held for about 10 seconds than it snapped
    Zip pull test 2

if you put anywhere near that much pressure on it you have far too much pressure on the zip.
    Of course you could always have a faulty one but at 35c each (lots of 50..)a spare or two would not be a bad idea.
    BTW, in a tipi (or similar) were the seams (or zips) act a bit like a built in guyline, you will have more pressure on the zip, so maybe you should avoid this type of zip pull if you have really heavy duty zips.
    Franco

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools