Topic

TM RidgeRest 72″ or 69″ ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TM RidgeRest 72″ or 69″ ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Because I have the time… I took it upon me to question some comments about a RidgeRest Solite at another forum.
    The guy stated that his Ridgerest is 69" long and not 72"
    My objection was based on the look of the RigeRest (no I don't have one and don't like it anyway, I tried a version of it years ago…)
    RidgeRest

So my question here is :
    Does anyone have a "72" " Ridgrest that is 3" shorter or can anyone explain how that could be possible considering the pattern on them ?
    (if it had shrunk, it should we also narrower, should it not ? )

There is an update. Apparently it is in fact 68" ….
    And of course it is TR (Therm A Rest not TM)
    Franco

Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

Well, I have a Ridgerest and I am quite happy with it.
    After sleeping some 100+ nights on it and all the tearing when you travel with it, it's still 72" long ;-)

No problems with it at all. Actually bought it after my airmattress was permanently leaking. No leaking anymore and it was a LOT cheaper!! =)

If you have any more questions about it, just ask me.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi
    The reason I am asking is that a guy does have a "RidgeRest SOLite" that IS 68" long however that is not a TR size (that I know of) and I cannot see how you can have a correct looking pattern (those diamonds) and the brand at both ends if the mat was cut short by mistake.(but it is 20" wide…)
    I am thinking that there is something really fishy here but still not sure.
    Franco

Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

Wow, that really sounds strange to me…

Tommy Thompson
    BPL Member

@wasser

Locale: Northern CA

I suspect it is related to a number of factors including:

Compression from rolling
    Temperature of material

I played around with two old 72" long Ridgerests (non-solite). When laid flat they both measured just under 70". I took one outside in the sun for a few minutes and then compared them. The one that was in the sun had stretched another inch. This change and the difference between the two remained for all the hours they were out. I also noticed that if I simply laid on either mat that they would stretch a further .5" – 1".

The reason compression is lessened on the width may be due to greater strength from the ribbing and the lack of manual compression (it isn't rolled in that direction). The ribbing may also contribute to the compression of the mat like an accordion.

Also, I have a brand new 77" Solite that measures just under 77".

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

my 72" Ridgerest is only 54" inches long.
    but I'm not complaining, even though I too have way too much time on my hands.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools