Topic

Patagonia Houdini treated with permethrin…and other fun stuff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Houdini treated with permethrin…and other fun stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Locale: Northeast, East Asia

Is this a bad idea? Permethrin is a chrysanthemum-based chemical, if I recall. No harm will be done to this beloved 100% nylon workhorse, right? What if I treat it with permethrin and then with ReviveX to restore the light DWR? Cool and dandy, yes?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Thanks Richard! So treating a Houdini with permethrin will significantly reduce the efficiency of its DWR. Assume, then, that the DWR on the garment is already quite reduced from standard use (e.g. it has been worn and washed numerous times over the course of 6 months). At this point, I suppose one would have to decide if water resistance was more a priority than insect resistance and treat accordingly (with ReviveX _OR_ permethrin).

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Isn't the Houdini bug resistant to begin with? I don't remember being bitten through mine

Steve

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

He's probably more worried about ticks using it as a catwalk to deeper darker locations.

Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Per this thread:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62197

and based on my experience the last couple times on the trail, ticks are plentiful in my neck of the (Mid Atlantic) woods this season.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools